Calling @fenderman... need PC suggestion and migration advice

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Okay, I just can't see passing this up. It has 4GB of RAM and 500GB HD. Planning on upgrading it to Windows 10, may need more RAM.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A while back I ordered a cheap (but not that cheap) used i5-2400 that turned out to be mislabeled. It was actually an i3 of the same generation so it was still new enough to support hardware acceleration, which DOES help no matter what other people say. When I complained to the seller, he offered a small partial refund and a free memory upgrade. Even this would have been enough to handle 3 4MP cameras, and it was enough to handle what I needed it for, so I accepted the offer rather than return the system and it has been running fine since then.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So, I just found out it actually has 8GB of RAM so it's even better than I thought. They also have a Optiplex 3010 which is just very slightly newer but I'm not sure about the processor in it.

fr33py

n3wb
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to wait a few days...i buy them all the time at that price.
Hey Fenderman,

I am starting to find some decent deals for these Optiplex boxes on Ebay. However, I notice they all seem to be SFF, Mini Tower, Micro Towers. Do any of these support adding an additional HDD like a WD 6TB Purple? What about the ability to add extra RAM? I'm used to building my own PC's and not a big fan of Dell but willing to try one on the cheap for the purpose of serving up my cam security. Thanks for the insight!

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman,

I am starting to find some decent deals for these Optiplex boxes on Ebay. However, I notice they all seem to be SFF, Mini Tower, Micro Towers. Do any of these support adding an additional HDD like a WD 6TB Purple? What about the ability to add extra RAM? I'm used to building my own PC's and not a big fan of Dell but willing to try one on the cheap for the purpose of serving up my cam security. Thanks for the insight!
The best way to find out is to go on Dell's site and find the units mentioned. Or google its specs. That is what I did before I bought mine on ebay. I don't think the SFF models have much room inside to expand anything. When in doubt though, hit up google and pull down the specs.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
SFF models typically have one 3.5 drive bay and one 2.5 drive bay. Often it is unspecified which of the bays is already used by the included disk.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Okay, just wanted to thank everyone who replied! I ended up with a great deal even though it's not the 4th Gen i5 processor that I was looking for. I'm very hopeful that this PC will easily run BI with 4 4MP cameras. I would like to add USB 3.0 to this for my external HDs to take advantage of the speed... not sure what to look for there but will research it.
[FONT=&amp]
Here's what I got...
OptiPlex 3010 Desktop Standard PSU
3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3470 Processor (Quad Core, 8MB RAM, 3.20GHz w/HD2500 Graphics)

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: