Cam email stopped working, suggestions

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had the email delivery set up on three cameras for a few months now and it's been working great. For some reason now none of the three work. When selecting "test" I get a fail response.

I haven't changed any of the settings. Power reboot, still the same.

All three are using a gmail address for sending the mail. Is it possible gmail has blocked these? I know over the past couple of weeks the cameras have sent out a bunch of emails due to weather etc.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems that in the last couple weeks, Google strictly block account that send out over 500 emails per day. You may need to switch to another account.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wouldn't have thought it was getting to that level. I did change the setting to port 587 and TLS authentication and it seems to be working now.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
wouldn't have thought it was getting to that level. I did change the setting to port 587 and TLS authentication and it seems to be working now.
I had similar trouble after making a firewall rule to block all LAN to WAN traffic. After doing that I also added a firewall rule to allow TLS/port 587.

With that, it would work for a short while then stop again. I'm sorta guessing when I suspended the block all rule for troubleshooting that a DNS cache, maybe in the camera, was refreshed. That allowed the cameras to resolve smtp.gmail.com for a while.

What finally resolved it for me was to add another firewall rule to allow DNS/port 53 (UDP). This has to be the first rule so the cameras could always resolve smtp.gmail.com before trying to send the email notifications.

If your router can supply DNS then I'd think the port 53 rule wouldn't be necessary but with my setup that was the only thing that worked, regardless of trying different DNS options in the router.