Cam install pics

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how do those PTZ's work for ya, i wondered if its better to put 2 fixed cameras on a corner, or the PTZ, but i feel like the PTZ would miss a lot

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how do those PTZ's work for ya, i wondered if its better to put 2 fixed cameras on a corner, or the PTZ, but i feel like the PTZ would miss a lot
One certainly doesn't want to depend on just a PTZ because as you said, the person could be coming from the left but the camera is facing the right.

That is where fixed cams come into play. A well defined system with fixed cams can be complimented with an autotracking PTZ and by using the fixed cams as spotter cams, it and can allow the opportunity to get much better opportunities for that clean capture, as well as track them around the property.

@dudemaar - nice clean install!

So in this case, if the PTZ is installed on a corner that would overlap coverage of the fixed cam, then it makes sense to have the home position of the PTZ be a field of view that doesn't overlap the fixed cam and then have the fixed cam act as a spotter cam to spin the PTZ around to start tracking on that side.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ahhh i understand, i thought he had just PTZ in place of 2x fixed

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks great! What did you use for spacers behind the PTZ corner bracket, @dudemaar?
plastic blocks i made up from some leftover pucks i had laying around from machine shop. I was just going to go to home depot and get some white pvc 1" thick base board trim instead. the bottom lag bolts are doing nothing structural. basically just screwed into the tin. (nothing but foam behind the tin) . Top lags are all lagged into the 1" strapping behind the tin.

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Many people mount without junction boxes if you have a big enough opening to shove the pigtail back thru and properly waterproof it.
Perfect.

I have my older 5231 turret mounted like without a box, so just wanted to make sure I could mount my new Color4kT the same way.

Thanks

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
is the first one IPC-Color4K-T?
any issues mounting it like you do without a junction box?
no, first cam is a 5442-ze

You can do without the box, no problem. I do on lower budget jobs. I personally don't like drilling big gaping 7/8" holes into brand-new steel, plus the box brings the camera out and away from the wall that much more.

It's also more difficult to plug a 7/8 - 1-inch hole, to keep water from entering the building.

Last edited: