Cam on vlan

Bazcb

n3wb
Reaction score
hey, I want to know everyone's opinion when using an existing network switch with Poe thats also used for computers etc, is it worth settting up vlans for the cameras ? Or would it be more suffice to split the network completely ? Only issue we have by splitting the network is I have 2 other buildings that have computers in and there connected by a wireless ptp link.

Thanks

Ottoman

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess it really depends on the switch (how they implement vlans) and what kind of traffic is on your network. But in my opinion I would keep your cams on a separate vlan, and maybe have one port that is allowed on both the cam vlan and computer vlan for access to the cams.This will be more secure and keep broadcast traffic separate from your cam traffic. But if your other buildings need access to the cams then I guess you really have no choice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you do vlan's right then the between building link wont be an issue and they can access it too.. you need a vlan capable router that can route traffic too/from your camera vlan and apply the firewall/traffic filtering rules you wish to isolate the network.

all switches/routers should be vlan capable if you wish to deploy VLAN's

Bazcb

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah thats fine, i just need to get it to work externally as well