camera access with OpenVPN

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have successfully set up an OpenVPN connection between my Asus router and iPhone. I can access my network remotely using the iPhone, but can't figure out how to remote access my cameras. I used the browser Safari, put in the NVR lan ip address, and logged in to the Hikvision NVR, but apparently Safari doesn't support live view.

The answer has got to be simple, and I know I'm missing something. Any help appreciated.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have successfully set up an OpenVPN connection between my Asus router and iPhone. I can access my network remotely using the iPhone, but can't figure out how to remote access my cameras. I used the browser Safari, put in the NVR lan ip address, and logged in to the Hikvision NVR, but apparently Safari doesn't support live view.

The answer has got to be simple, and I know I'm missing something. Any help appreciated.
ok, wait, if you were able to log onto the camera, your problem isn't routing, its that Safari on a phone doesn't support whatever ugliness video stream the hikvision requires. I think I have to use MSIE for my older HikVision cameras to work because it wants to use ActiveX (eeeew), otherwise they try and use Flash which is EOL and no longer supported by anything sane.

if you can't even log onto the camera, make sure the camera has a 'default gateway' setup in its network settings that points at your VPN server (your router), or it won't find the route back to your remote VPN client address.

pinecone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I solved my problem by using Hikvision IVMS-4500 on the iPhone. I now have full remote access to the NVR.