Camera Advice and Suggestion

sageRJ

n3wb
Reaction score
The company I work for has around 500 IP cameras deployed. Mostly Hikvision and Dahua, some Vivotek and Axis. I started less than a year ago and manage most of the backend for this CCTV system; the camera configuration, network administration, recording servers maintenance and administration. For background, I had no prior experience in surveillance before this job.

A colleague in my group handles the field work. They were recently tasked with procuring about 100 new cameras to replace aging equipment. Something like 50 bullet, 40 dome and 10 PTZ. This particular employee is not technical or interested in doing any research. He simply handed it off to a vendor we use who has suggested we buy Axis (if we can wait six months) Bosch or Hanwha. These are the cameras they quoted us:
  • Hanwha Techwin WiseNet X Plus XNP-8250
  • Hanwha Techwin WiseNet Q QNO-8010R
  • Hanwha Techwin WiseNet Q QND-8020R
I realize there’s a ton that should go into camera selection. But I just wanted to ask some people who know a lot more than my group about this stuff. Is there anything wrong with Hanwha or maybe even these particular models? Are there glaringly better options you would go with given the same scenario? Brand doesn’t matter and aside from the PTZs, price should be under $500 each. Only other thing is they’d have to be available from B&H, Anixter, Markertek or SHI.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t know the Hanwha cams well but all of those are 5 MP cams on a 1/2.8 sensor so won’t be all that great for low light. Specs for illumination reflect that. Don’t know the application to know if that’s important or if the 2.8mm and 4mm focal lengths are suited for the purpose.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may check here also (assuming I am allowed to mention)

sageRJ

n3wb
Reaction score
The application is security in close to all possible scenarios - that’s why I didn’t mention it much. Indoor areas both large and small, both close ups and wide views with people running in huge gyms, walking in hallways and sitting in offices. Outdoors in areas both large and small watching small and huge areas. Parking lots, roads with cars going up to 30mph. Low light is definitely important but not more important over quality imaging in daytime for example.

Instead of Bosche or Hanwha, I just feel like it would make sense to stick with the Hikvision and Dahuas we have. They’re acceptable quality cameras at reasonable prices. Would most people here agree with this? This network is true CCTV and nothing on it has access to the internet so the FCC stuff isn’t a concern here.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Instead of Bosche or Hanwha, I just feel like it would make sense to stick with the Hikvision and Dahuas we have. They’re acceptable quality cameras at reasonable prices. Would most people here agree with this?
Yes, most here likely will agree. You'll get better cams for the money.

Given what you said as far as plans and variety of uses, might get away from the 2.8mm/4mm cams and include some vari-focals so you better get the views you want. You can easily do that within your budget if you get away from the Axis/Bosch end of things.