Camera and placement recommendations?

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
For what it's worth ...

I purchased a ZyXEL GS1910-24HP 10/100/1000Mbps 24-Port Gigabit Smart Managed PoE+ Switch from Newegg (Item#: N82E16833181234).

Switch cost on the site was 439.99. They have a promo code of ZXSWTHOCT14 that expires TODAY (10/21) worth an additional $ 88.00 off of the normal price. with 3 business day shipping of $ 2.99 I paid $ 354.98 for the switch to my door.

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Late Tuesday I purchased the CMIP8232B 4mm (DS-2CD2032-I) from MilkIsBad. It arrived on Thursday. He was great to deal with (Thank you!).

I installed the equipment over the weekend. Here's some thoughts ...

The ZyXel GS1910-24HP is pretty loud. There's two fans in the unit and one of them runs at high speed all the time (by design). The information I found was a bit confusing but we're talking in the 48 dB range. http://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=012078&lang=EN

I mounted the camera between the garage doors and as high as I could get it. I found that the soffit didn't interfere with the angle I wanted. I did have to tweak it as the morning sun over the neighbors house was pretty bright and did interfere.

Here's how things look at this point.

snapshot-20141027-065437.jpgsnapshot-20141027-142647.jpg

I have a Synology DS214play running "Surveillance Station" that I planned on using to store the videos. Given the LTS is supposed to be a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I I selected that for the camera brand and model. The Surveillance Station software was able to initially connect but kept cycling from connected to disconnected and back again.

SurveillanceStationDisconnects.JPG

<sigh>

I was able to get the camera stable by using the ONVIF model (http://www.onvif.org/). This prevents the use of some of the "on camera" functions however (motion detection for example). The stream is recording and the motion detection on the Surveillance Station software does work however.

I'm also pretty disappointed with my options for remote viewing of the stream(s) with the Synology. Apparently DSCam is about the only thing outside a web browser that will work with the Surveillance Station software. And the web browser requires add-ins that prevent its use on some devices (my Surface RT for example). It was my hope to be able to view the stream(s) on my TVs (Apple TV, Xbox One, other ...) but this doesn't seem to be a viable option with the current setup. As much as I don't want to do it I may have to look at some other software (Blue Iris, etc.).

I'm catching a lot of video from the motion detection (shadow from a tree) and missed some that I thought I should get (below threshold I guess). Once I get the previous issue resolved I'll address the motion detection.

QUESTION:
Is the camera I have really a DS-2CD2032-I? Can I flash it with firmware from Hikvision's site and make it look like an OEM device?

I submitted a support ticket to Synology as I found plenty of instances on the net where folks have trouble with the disconnects. I've been asked to submit some debug logs for analysis. I suspect that they are going to see the logs and pick up on the fact that the camera shows up as a re-branded device and refuse the support. (Sorry, it's not a supported model ...) I will admit that I attempted to flash the firmware (http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/download_more.asp?id=1354) and the flash failed so it's not looking good at this point.

Thanks again for all the help. Lots of lessons-learned and more to come. I hope that my experiences help someone else and if I can provide any more information please feel free to ask.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
QUESTION:
Is the camera I have really a DS-2CD2032-I? Can I flash it with firmware from Hikvision's site and make it look like an OEM device?
Yes. I don't have the bullet like you do, but my 3 MP I got from milkisbad also has an LTS part and it came with 5.1.2 firmware (I bet yours did, too). The web interface for firmware upgrades sucks on these (doesn't reliably work), but if you upgrade with the TFTP approach using hikvision firmware (milkisbad probably has a link if you PM him) you can upgrade. As soon as you do so the camera will still list the LTS part number, but now you see the hikvision logo. Here is one of mine updated to 5.2.0.

hikvision.png

Irrespective of your use of Synology, can should still be able to login to the camera with your browser (and I think it ought to work fine on your Surface) at the camera's IP and login to it directly, then view its stream. Also, I've not tried it on firmware 5.2.0, but on 5.1.2 I was able to use the free VLC application and watch the onvif stream directly within that (can't remember the exact URL you need to specify).

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Old Dude,

Yes you can TFTP it to become Hikvision firmware.

I did the upgrade to two of my cameras too to the 5.2 firmware from Hikvision's website.

I had a customer who used Hikvision's 5.1.6 firmware (if you can still find it) without TFTP without issue as well.

I'll PM you a link to download the TFTP tool.

Thanks ^^
You ROCK! (Thank you!)

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. I don't have the bullet like you do, but my 3 MP I got from milkisbad also has an LTS part and it came with 5.1.2 firmware (I bet yours did, too). The web interface for firmware upgrades sucks on these (doesn't reliably work), but if you upgrade with the TFTP approach using hikvision firmware (milkisbad probably has a link if you PM him) you can upgrade. As soon as you do so the camera will still list the LTS part number, but now you see the hikvision logo. Here is one of mine updated to 5.2.0.

View attachment 1634

Irrespective of your use of Synology, can should still be able to login to the camera with your browser (and I think it ought to work fine on your Surface) at the camera's IP and login to it directly, then view its stream. Also, I've not tried it on firmware 5.2.0, but on 5.1.2 I was able to use the free VLC application and watch the onvif stream directly within that (can't remember the exact URL you need to specify).
I did see the information on TFTP'ing the firmware and toyed with doing it but didn't find a good link to the utility. milkisbad just supplied me with all I need and I'll take a swing at it.

I don't think the Surface RT is going to do it. Like the iPad, it's hobbled by design with regard to plug-ins and software that is not an 'App'. I don't think my first attempt was successful.

And like my 'cut the cable' system it's got to be extremely 'wife-friendly' or it just won't fly.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Note to self ...

With a managed switch you have to remember to turn off STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) get the firmware to flash.

Then you have to setup the camera configuration again... :shame:

(Firmware successfully flashed.)

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. Major fail.

I thought I had things working correctly but after last night I see I was mistaken.

Last night was 'Trick or Treat' night for our area. I figured I would have plenty of video. I got virtually nothing.

Is there a good thread (or documentation for a "Dummy") that I can review regarding the Hikvision options for triggering a recording?

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Old dude,

Did you hit trigger channel under Events? If you flashed to 5.2, there's a help button on the upper right when you log into the camera, click the question mark icon.

View attachment 1683

If this part is all set then it would be the setting in your synology machine.

If all else fails you can use ivms 4200 PC NVR for now to record...

http://www.hikvision.com/en/download_more.asp?id=1190

AnOldDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

What I'm seeing is that the settings on the camera change. I can't tell if it's the camera or whether the 'Surveillance Station' software is periodically making changes (really???). Once I get some time to play with it I'll see if I can tell where the problem is.

Reaction score
Front door put it about eye level, or roughly the height of the window on your door (maby a tad lower) to the left of the door and you should get a good face shot of anyone at the door and get your front ground level windows in with it.

Right side of your garage over the trashcans would be a good spot for a driveway camera, high above the door under the 2nd floor overhang a nice variable zoom camera focused at end of driveway/mailbox area would probably work very well..

South back south/west side of the house mount 2 cameras, one looking east and one looking north, maby one more on north west corner looking east depending on whats on that side of the house.

Thats my first impression of locations/placements, alot more thought should go into it however... if you put a corner mount PTZ above trashcans it can normally be focused at end of driveway/mailbox with tight zoom and put a motion sensor infront of garage doors and one on south side of house.... if anything moves over there it'll check it out and then go back to mailbox watch, also good if someone parks on street you can watch there vehicle from a distance... you'll also be able to watch sidewalk traffic much better with a good PTZ; at those distances the cameras on front of house wont be able to ID people on sidewalk... that could do away with the need of several cameras and end up not costing much more + having lower storage requirements for recording.
what recommendation would youbhavenfor.a.camera that can ptz, with noghtvision and can key on those sensors?

Reaction score
understand :).

still i am looking for a ptz outdoor night camera that could rotate towards an external sensor. i have a foscam and hikvision bullet camera now, but would like auggestions on what i need.

thanks