Camera and placement recommendations

Suburban28

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cool I just ordered a nvr and 4431ca from different seller on ali last night :)

Just ordered two 4431ca as well. Now I wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cameras have been processed through ISC Chicago as of the 7th. Have my Poe switch and one length of cat 6 run. Through the porch light box and under siding.

Couldn't get the cable run to the garage as the conduit is stuffed full already. Will have to think that through.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's the plan, but will probably have to wait until spring for that. For now the second cam will probably go on the back of the house. And I'll order a few more over the next few months.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Use an existing run to the garage and plug it into a switch and branch out from there. No need to homerun everything from the garage and lots less labour than redoing a plugged full conduit. I'd rather run a second conduit rather than redo the first if you didn't want to spend for another switch.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you mean use an existing run to the garage?

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you mean use an existing run to the garage?

I think he is reading the conduit being full s you already have ethernet run. That may not be the case.

If it is, take his advice to save some resources. I did homeruns for my four so far. Easy enough. I have made a small dent in my 1000 foot reel.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Right. With conduit being full I assumed that at least one of the wires was ethernet to a camera. Simply unplug one from a cam and put it into a poe switch. Then you'll have all of the rest of the ports for cameras.

Egads

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it's possible the existing conduit is used for line voltage electric to the garage? Not legal (or advisable) to run data cables in the same conduit.

Inigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can the camera in the IPC-HDW4431C-A be rotated 90 degrees so that it can be flush-mounted on a vertical wall? I am thinking about mounting one at shoulder level on the wall next to the front door.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes the existing conduit runs power to the garage. I'll bury a new one but need to decide where the best place to run into garage is. The existing runs directly under driveway up into garage.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Try a power line adapter if conduit has to run under asphalt or concrete. They can be a bit flaky in some situations but I run three cameras currently from my back building and it gets Ethernet from a PLA. Works great with no issues. 2x 2mp and 1x 1.3mp cameras.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cameras came today.

I can't get open vpn configured correctly(pi). I can connect, setup using a ddns but still shows my home IP. Any ideas/recommendations?

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Long overdue update. I've had these setup for a few months now and am very happy with them. I use a raspberry pi as a vpn, so the cams never touch the internet.

I'll update more when I get home.

Screenshot_20161204-174939.pngScreenshot_20161204-174954.png