camera and rain!!!

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
so its raining like crazy in NY :( 2 of my cameras are completed out in the open on side of the house. cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I . is there anything else i can cover them with so they are no so bad in rain?

Attachments

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those cameras are rated IP66 so they should have no problems being outside in a heavy downpour.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Usually cameras are mounted under an eave when available, to aid in keeping the elements off. Otherwise there is not much you can do about it easily. Angle it more towards the ground I suppose, and hope that keeps the water off the front glass better.

sonup2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Those cameras are rated IP66 so they should have no problems being outside in a heavy downpour.
i more concerned about keeping the glass clean. i will try to point them down more as bp2008 suggested.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rain Repellent may work

Rain X Rain repellent improves wet weather visibility and safety by creating an invisible hydrophobic coating that repels rain, sleet and snow.
Have a look on your local ebay or amazon

Not sure if it will affect IR ... but seems worth a try.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could invest in a camera wiper, however, it would be overkill for such an inexpensive camera (because iit would cost more than your camera). The inexpensive way is to install a rain shield on the camera (metal or plastic), not a perfect solution but an inexpensive one that may do for your situation.

Water repelents and the like may also work for you, however, running out to spray my cameras every time it rains sounds like no fun to me.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Not much you can do about that. I would not put on any type of repellent chemical. Cameras exposed to rain will have water droplets until it stops raining and it drip dries.

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mounting the camera under an eave and if possible angling it somewhat parallel to the eave so that the maximum possible distance in front of the camera is under the eave is the ideal situation I find. Not only does this keep as much rain off the camera lens as possible but keeping the rain drops, snow flakes and fog as far as possible from the camera reduces reflection from infra red lights at night and thus false alerts.

Reaction score
Rain Repellent may work

Have a look on your local ebay or amazon

Not sure if it will affect IR ... but seems worth a try.
Rain-X is readily available at any Walmart or auto parts store. Really good stuff on glass, plastic is more questionable but I've had good luck on plastics so far. This stuff lasts for months and will make a difference a year after application.

I've been using this on my car windshields and most glass products since the late 70's. I can't stand to drive without it and I rarely use my windshield wipers when under way. The more vertical the surface, the better it works. My mother swears that it reduces the spider residues on the big glass doors on the deck. Keeps 'em cleaner, too.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
RainX is like crack you put it on in a few months, it hazes up your glass, and then you have to reapply it and then the cycle repeats.