Camera appears on NVR camera registration tab, click add, then shows error “Cannot find the network host”, any ideas?

Iampd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I‘m using an Amcrest NV5208e with ip8m-t2499ew cameras. I’ve updated the firmware on everything and set static IP’s on the cameras using a browser connection. Now, when I plug the cameras into the NVR, they appear on the top half of the Camera Registration screen with a green checkmark as being available (with the static IP I previously set). When I click “Add”, they successfully move down to the bottom half, but now they have a red indicator and show error “Cannot find the network host”. I thought the camera might just need the password set, so I type the same password I used when setting the static IP earlier on, but this doesn’t resolve the issue. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?? For grins, I tried letting DHCP choose an IP, and then it all worked fine, but I want to use static IP’s on these cameras.

mromamcrest

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hello @Iampd,

When connecting directly to NVR, it can not be set to static since the NVR switch has to provide the IP address from its switch. The NVR will create its own network segment with the cameras. Ultimately saving you bandwidth within the network due to the camera and NVR having to constantly communicate. connecting this way would only provide access to the camera by going through NVR.

However, the other option, if you chose to have the camera set to static, would be to connect the camera separate from the NVR on the same network segment. By connecting this way to NVR, there will be more network communication going on. You do get full access to all devices individually by connecting this way.

Iampd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mario, thanks for your response. The Amcrest manuals recommend setting the cameras to use a static IP address:

Camera manual:
“For security purposes it is highly recommended to set the camera to a static IP address. Setting your device to a static IP will ensure the stability and the efficiency of your device while operating it in the Amcrest Surveillance Pro software.”

NVR manual:
“Before adding a camera to your NVR it is highly recommended to set the camera’s IP address to Static before continuing. If the device does not have a static IP address assigned to it, there could be a compromise in the integrity of the connection if the NVR loses power or resets.
For more information on how to set a static IP for your camera visit: amcrest.com/staticIP.”

Are you saying static IP’s on the cameras are not possible when directly connecting the cameras to the NVR? I appreciate your help!

mromamcrest

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Iampd,

I apologize for the confusion. That is correct, static would not be possible for the camera when connected directly to NVR. The added security when connected to the NVR is that the camera is that the cameras are not accessible any other way but through NVR. However, it's still recommended making the NVR static so it does not change the IP address on you when the NVR power cycles.

The main reason for the recommendation is intended for when the camera is not connected directly to NVR.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. I'm trying to swap out a camera that's currently connected to my NVR directly with a compatible Amcrest camera with the goal of getting the additional Amcrest features through the Amcrest app. In bench testing, I've successfully added the Amcrest camera to the NVR with the camera being connected to a switch from the router, but want the Amcrest camera to be connected to the NVR directly without having to use the switch setup. To do this, I'm thinking I would set the Amcrest cam IP address to the NVR IP address for the NVR port, but then I'm thinking I likely wouldn't have WLAN access to the camera through the Amcrest app if the IP address is internal to the NVR. Is what I'm trying to do possible, or should I go with the separate switch set up?