***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
DO NOT follow any instructions telling you to use the config tool or switch the IP of your NVR or cameras or initialize anything..!

With NVR's typically with a -P designation (Built-n PoE switch - example: 4208-8P-4KS2) none of that is required and it will make a mess of things.

if you have a Dahua NVR with built-in PoE switch

1- Fire up NVR using a mouse and monitor to do the initial setup, security questions, password, leave default Networking/IP alone (Verify it is static IP at 192.168.1.108 - assuming a standard home network of 192.168.1.x ), If you wish you could change the NVR IP address to some other static number on the 192.168.1.x network, This might be helpful if you were to add other Dahua cameras later outside of the built in PoE ports via say an external PoE switch as Dahau cameras will also default to the .108 address and create a conflict. . (I like to use .254 as I’ve yet to see that get assigned randomly by the router DHCP pool in a normal home environment)

Then disconnect from the NVR and never go back to that machine interface. Dont try and make any other setting changes here. You can change it all later in the Web interface.
2- Plug in your cameras to the NVR. Dont do anything else
3 Open a browser on a PC on your network (again assuming a standard home network of 192.168.1.x) and type 192.168.1.108 and hit Enter. You will go to the WebGUI interface of your NVR. This is how you will manage your NVR from now on.
4- Assuming the newer 4.0 dark interface, Choose "Management" at top left then "Camera". This will take you to a page that looks like the thumbnail below. The NVR will have automagically assigned each camera a channel and an IP address in the 10.1.1.x range**. You can NOT access the cameras without going through the NVR interface and using the Blue IE icons. See thumbnail below. (well you can access them but its a PIA and not necessary)
5- Click on the BLUE IE icon to open the individual cameras Web GUI to make changes to your camera settings, IVS, etc. The login for each camera will default to Admin/your NVR password

NVR4-CameraRegPage.jpg

Notes

A -When you go to the camera registration page, do not try and add cameras manually to move them from the top pane to the bottom. Let the NVR do it automagically, May need to unplug them and reboot once.

B- If using a Dahua NVR with the bullt in Poe switch, cameras shown using port 37777 can’t be reached via the interface (IE button) as noted. Usually see this if you try to add them manually from the top pane to the bottom. If you let the NVR assign and pass credentials by itself, they’ll show up as port 1,2,3 etc and you’ll be able to access them via the IE button

C- I’ve found it works best not to mess with any settings other than Network and Recording schedule on the NVR. I make all Image, Exposure, Event, and FPS/Bitrate changes on the camera itself >>>> and it pushes them to the NVR fine. Making image and Event changes on the NVR does not always push them correctly to the camera however.

D- For day to day viewing/playback and downloading of clips on your home network, simply download and install Dahua SmartPSS on a computer on that network and use it. This is simpler and better than trying to use the NVR web interface all the time just to view cameras or download footage. That said, dont try and use SmartPSS to adjust or mange the camera image or Event/MD/IVS settings Do this on the camera itself.

E) Note: Its best to limit changes to Image, Encoding, Bitrate/FPS, IVS, Motion Detection, etc to one device or the other, I recommend using the camera interface. If you make some changes on the camera and others on the NVR, it will mess up something eventually

Questions:

Does the pencil icon pop-up on the nvr camera registration page modify the camera password or is that only so you can login into the cam?
It just allows login, it does not modify the login/password

You said when you plug a cam into the NVR it changes the camera password to the nvr password but i didnt' find this to be true.
On a new camera or one factory defaulted I can assure you it assigns the NVR password to the camera. If you have changed the camera settings somehow directly, changed the IP or messed with onvif or ports, it may not adopt the credentials and you may to to factoryt default the camera and start over.

If my cameras are now on the NVR private network of 10.1.1.x how can I view them without going through the NVR interface first?
The same way you would with an NVR without built-in PoE ports. By using SmartPSS, or the Dahua Mobile apps iDMSS or gDMSS. They will "see through" the NVR to allow you to view your cameras. Remember, use these apps to view and download video clips. If you want to make changes to the Image, Events etc, do it on the camera itself.

Can I still use a VPN? Wont that be a problem again with the cameras on the 10.1.1.x network?
Yes. You will access them the same way as above. The VPN puts you inside your network as if you are sitting at your desk at home.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
NVR 4.0 Setting up Recording

If you are not recording to an SD card on the camera itself, all recording functions should be set on the NVR. See each screen below to insure you are recording all events plus full time video.

01.jpg 02.jpg 02-b.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Access your cameras directly to make Image setting/IVS/MotionDetection/Exposure/Bitrate changes to them

NVR Registration Tab
NVR4-CameraRegPage.jpg

Camera Web Interface
11am.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Playback via NVR web interface. USE IE or you won't see some controls

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02-1.jpg Clipboard02-2.jpg Clipboard03.jpg

**** please note: I use SmartPSS to view and playback or download clips. It’s easier. But per above you can do it on the NVR.

Last edited:

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this thread. I have a NVR5232-16P-4KS2E coming from Andy. This is my first nvr and I know your tips will come in handy.

rodb

n3wb
Reaction score
I cannot access my cameras via IE. I manually moved them from the top pane to bottom. Will they populate to the bottom screen if the cameras are already set up or do they need to be reset first? What about a wifi camera?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No idea on WiFi cameras... if they are new Dahua they should work similar

If you have manually assigned static IPs and/or ports to the cameras you may have problems.

Each case is different depending on many factors. Please start another thread in the NVR forum so that we can troubleshoot your specific problem.

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DO NOT follow any instructions telling you to use the config tool or switch the IP of your NVR or cameras or initialize anything..!

snip

5- Click on the BLUE IE icon to open the individual cameras Web GUI to make changes to your camera settings, IVS, etc. The login for each camera will default to Admin/your NVR password

View attachment 58246
Just received my nvr from Andy and am setting it up. I click the blue IE icon, log into the camera and I am immediately presented with this this screen"

1585864848226.png

I assume I should uncheck P2P?

Thanks.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good question in the new 4.0 interface, I really dont know? Seems it just takes the name from the camera itself. Assign at the camera

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good question in the new 4.0 interface, I really dont know? Seems it just takes the name from the camera itself. Assign at the camera
When you say 'from the camera itself', do you mean by logging into the camera using the IE icon? If so, the only thing I could find there is under System --> General. But the name there does not correspond to the default name and changing it, does not update the camera name shown in the camera feed or in the nvr camera management section.

This is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps I will ping Andy to see if he knows.

Inbouwkast

n3wb
Reaction score
IMG_20200403_155453.jpg
I've upgraded to 4.001
I know in the previous version you could change it to. But can't remember where.

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
View attachment 58681
I've upgraded to 4.001
I know in the previous version you could change it to. But can't remember where.
I am on 4.000. Interesting, I wonder if that is the difference.

Regardless, I found you can make the name change in SmartPss.