Camera designed to be mounted against a window pane?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there cameras designed for this? I am thinking of a situation where you simply need a camera to look out of a window. Obviously you don't want reflections from the window to cause trouble. Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there cameras designed for this? I am thinking of a situation where you simply need a camera to look out of a window. Obviously you don't want reflections from the window to cause trouble. Thanks.
Hi Davej,

I have not seen any. You'd need to do a "maker" or DIY hack. Suggest creating a box lined with black felt around the camera and turning off IR.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Davej,

I have not seen any. You'd need to do a "maker" or DIY hack. Suggest creating a box lined with black felt around the camera and turning off IR.
You’d have to hack something together. I had a project where I needed to hide a camera behind glass and use IR.

I used the roll window/door insulation foam tape to seal around the camera lens where it meets the glass. I then used a separate/external IR and placed that to the glass in the same manner. The foam tape keeps the IR from reflecting off the glass back to the camera. Haven’t had any issues.

I needed to cant the camera a bit to get the right angle so I used several layers of the foam tape on one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have box cameras backed by a dark curtain, looking through a sheet of polycarbonate. The IR emitters are outside. Works very well here.

WideAngle

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are still looking, there are at least a few...

The Logitech Circle 2 has a window mount, as does the Logitech Alert 750i.
If you feel like something more "open" and customizable, the Raspberry Pi ZeroView is a small cheap camera with suction cup window mounting.
And if you were desperate, and OK with local on-camera storage only (and/or using a phone app to view footage), you could re-purpose any number of car dashcams. Many have a "parking mode" feature which has motion detection recording, and some have sensors that are better in low light.

None are optimal solutions, of course.

circle2accessories.png

700i_MOUNTING3.jpg

pi_zeroview_camera-702x336.jpg