Camera Faceoff: Dahua Starlight IPC-T5442TM-AS vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am really not very sensitive as to the form factor. It will sit on a shelf indoor looking out a third floor window.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am really not very sensitive as to the form factor. It will sit on a shelf indoor looking out a third floor window.
Gotcha. Well this is mine and many here suggestion, I would reach out to Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here, and look at his inventory. He is by far the best to purchase Chinese made cameras from. He has a great reputation here, will get your camera to you quick through DHL (Free Shipping) and you won't have to worry about hacked firmware. You will find he is very reasonable in price, by the time you add shipping elsewhere. I had my camera delivered in one week.

He also sells through Amazon too.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotcha. Well this is mine and many here suggestion, I would reach out to Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here, and look at his inventory. He is by far the best to purchase Chinese made cameras from. He has a great reputation here, will get your camera to you quick through DHL (Free Shipping) and you won't have to worry about hacked firmware. You will find he is very reasonable in price, by the time you add shipping elsewhere. I had my camera delivered in one week.

He also sells through Amazon too.
Thank you

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may look at this varifocal. I saw you had a 3.6mm picked out. This will handle 2.7mm to 12mm focal range. You may want to not have a fixed lens looking through a window, this will help in placement. Also beware of the IR reflection from your window glass, you will most likely need to turn IR off so unless you have lighting outside you will not get good night video.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might have a little better luck with the bullet model, ... since you're already working through a house window, the bullet not having the plastic dome around the camera would be one less potentially reflective surface for it to go through.

IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI

Having said that, I'm not sure if Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) carries the -NI models currently. Hopefully he can chime in on that.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may look at this varifocal. I saw you had a 3.6mm picked out. This will handle 2.7mm to 12mm focal range. You may want to not have a fixed lens looking through a window, this will help in placement. Also beware of the IR reflection from your window glass, you will most likely need to turn IR off so unless you have lighting outside you will not get good night video.

I was thinking about the varifocal, but this new N1 has an F1 Aperture, lower lux. I currently have an IR lamp outside. Want to see if maybe I could do without it.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have an IR lamp outside.
Oh! The Hik ColorVu and 5442TM-AS-LED can only use visible light, so the IR from the lamp outside wouldn't help them any. -NI models look to be the same, if that matters.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh! The Hik ColorVu and 5442TM-AS-LED can only use visible light, so the IR from the lamp outside wouldn't help them any. -NI models look to be the same, if that matters.
Hmmm, so much to learn, so many variables! That really didn't occur to me.

Given that, I would really like the varifocal, but there will be almost no light. So should I go with the lowest lux models?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You might have a little better luck with the bullet model, ... since you're already working through a house window, the bullet not having the plastic dome around the camera would be one less potentially reflective surface for it to go through.

IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI

Having said that, I'm not sure if Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) carries the -NI models currently. Hopefully he can chime in on that.
Is this in bullet only?

Actually maybe this explains why colorvu turret is bigger than 5442 turret. Bigger size, bigger aperture. Maybe turret 5442 is physically too small for a F/1.0

Kinda regret getting colorvu over 5442 now but for second cam maybe I'll get a colorvu so I can compare both

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this in bullet only?

Actually maybe this explains why colorvu turret is bigger than 5442 turret. Bigger size, bigger aperture. Maybe turret 5442 is physically too small for a F/1.0

Kinda regret getting colorvu over 5442 now but for second cam maybe I'll get a colorvu so I can compare both
Do you mean 5442? You regret getting colorvu so you will get a second colorvu?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So to help me get this straight, the 5442 has the best IR for night and the ColorVu seems to be the winner on night color correct? So unless you have flood lights or good lighting it is best to stay with the 5442 correct?

In our backyard we have no lights, we are too close to our neighbors for extensive lighting, only 30 feet to our fence :), our lights would shine into our neighbors windows from our 8 foot eve over a 6 foot fence, so for us the 5442 makes more sense.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Given that, I would really like the varifocal, but there will be almost no light. So should I go with the lowest lux models?
Granted that specs are just numbers on paper, but it doesn't sound like a big different in terms of low-light performance between the lowest 0.001 lux models (the f1.0 Hik ColorVu, Dahua -NI models) vs the next lowest 0.002 lux models (like the Dahua 5442 series).

Since there is a varifocal bullet model in the 5442 series that would be able to utilize your external IR if needed, that's what I'd probably be interested in:
Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

We've hijacked @pbc's thread here, but he's comparing a 0.001 lux f1.0 ColorVu against a 0.002 lux Dahua 5442 model (not varifocal), so def. might be worth reviewing the pics posted and giving a yell for any more clarification if it would be helpful.

Is this in bullet only?
There's a dome. I haven't seen a turret yet.
IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Granted that specs are just numbers on paper, but it doesn't sound like a big different in terms of low-light performance between the lowest 0.001 lux models (the f1.0 Hik ColorVu, Dahua -NI models) vs the next lowest 0.002 lux models (like the Dahua 5442 series).

Since there is a varifocal bullet model in the 5442 series that would be able to utilize your external IR if needed, that's what I'd probably be interested in:
Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

We've hijacked @pbc's thread here, but he's comparing a 0.001 lux f1.0 ColorVu against a 0.002 lux Dahua 5442 model (not varifocal), so def. might be worth reviewing the pics posted and giving a yell for any more clarification if it would be helpful.

There's a dome. I haven't seen a turret yet.
IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI
Sorry for off topic, but how would the bullet cam access his external IR? Does the external IR stay on all the time or on a timer or activated by motion? So to use eternal he would turn off the IR on the cam right?
Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for off topic, but how would the bullet cam access his external IR? Does the external IR stay on all the time or on a timer or activated by motion? So to use eternal he would turn off the IR on the cam right?
Thanks.
Yeah, since this camera will be inside the house looking outside through a window, the built-in IR will need to be disabled. I’m not sure how he’s controlling the external IR right now, but as long as it can come on when needed, the 5442 should be able to see it whereas the ColorVu (and Dahua Full Color -NI models) can’t.