Camera feed comes and goes

Rhody96

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

One of my IP cameras feed will work for 3-4 days and then not work for 3-4 days. This has been going on for months and it's only an issue with one stream. I have a static IP address for this camera and can't figure out how to stop this. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

Rhody96

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply! Here is my info:

Brand/model of camera.
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera 2.7~13.5mm varifocal lens IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

How is it powered.
POE

How is it being recorded - Blue Iris or NVR?
Blue Iris (latest version)

Is it wired or wireless?
Wired (ethernet)

Does the video stream pass through the router or is it isolated from the internet?
Video stream passes through the router

Is there an IP address conflict?
No, there appears to be no conflict.
Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the default IP address of every Dahua OEM camera, so make sure you don't have another device on your system with the same IP address.

Camera should not go through a router. Routers are not designed to keep up with constant data needs of surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a router. Doesn't matter at that point whether it is wifi or hard-wired camera.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

At the very least have all of your cameras and BI computer go to the same switch and then a cable from that switch to the router.

Make sure hardware acceleration is off as some of the latest BI versions are struggling with it for some cameras. And make sure you are using H264 and not some variation like H264H.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it actually get routed by the router, or is it simply plugged into a port on the router? Most "Routers" are firewall/router/switch/AP combos, and if you are just using the built in switch with no routing, there should be no issue

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the POE power source injector, switch, NVR?!? If the camera is truly going off line every 3-4 days and remains off I would confirm that state.

Off to me is literally it’s not powered vs not accessible which can be how you access the device. Case in point many users will complain they can’t view the feed over a smart application on their cell / tablet.

The vast majority of times this has been the software / hardware was too bloated to the hardware was underpowered to display more than X video feeds.

When the camera is in this state my first question and task would be to ping the device and validate its even on the network. Pinging a device and receiving an Ack doesn’t mean anything besides at a network (hardware) level that it (NIC) works.

I would than try to login to the camera locally, via app, PC Software, NVR if present. If all show no connection that eliminates a cell / tablet smart application issue and hardware. Because you could still access the same via PC / NVR.

If that also shows no access you need to determine if it’s a network issue vs power. Power should be easily simply by powering the same with a separate POE injector, 12 VDC, another POE Switch.

If the camera never goes off line that narrows the problem to a lack of power. It doesn’t address if you have bad RJ45 connectors or cabling which should have been verified first at install and during your trouble shooting now.

Split the trouble shooting into sections which you can do now and move on to others that are more involved etc.

Rhody96

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it actually get routed by the router, or is it simply plugged into a port on the router? Most "Routers" are firewall/router/switch/AP combos, and if you are just using the built in switch with no routing, there should be no issue
It is just plugged into the router. Thanks for your input!

Rhody96

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the POE power source injector, switch, NVR?!? If the camera is truly going off line every 3-4 days and remains off I would confirm that state.

Off to me is literally it’s not powered vs not accessible which can be how you access the device. Case in point many users will complain they can’t view the feed over a smart application on their cell / tablet.

The vast majority of times this has been the software / hardware was too bloated to the hardware was underpowered to display more than X video feeds.

When the camera is in this state my first question and task would be to ping the device and validate its even on the network. Pinging a device and receiving an Ack doesn’t mean anything besides at a network (hardware) level that it (NIC) works.

I would than try to login to the camera locally, via app, PC Software, NVR if present. If all show no connection that eliminates a cell / tablet smart application issue and hardware. Because you could still access the same via PC / NVR.

If that also shows no access you need to determine if it’s a network issue vs power. Power should be easily simply by powering the same with a separate POE injector, 12 VDC, another POE Switch.

If the camera never goes off line that narrows the problem to a lack of power. It doesn’t address if you have bad RJ45 connectors or cabling which should have been verified first at install and during your trouble shooting now.

Split the trouble shooting into sections which you can do now and move on to others that are more involved etc.

Rhody96

n3wb
Reaction score
The POE is powered by a switch. I recently changed the static IP from .108 and I have not had any problems again (yet). If the camera loses its signal again I will use your troubleshooting ideas. Thanks for you input!!