Camera for end of 1000' driveway ? WiFi? Ethernet? Other?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not run regular copper ethernet cable 800 feet near a power line and expect it to work well.

I would be tempted to get at least 4 strands of single mode fiber into the ground. I'm not sure where to get direct burial fiber for cheap, but this place seems to have regular indoor/outdoor cable for a great price. 9/125 Bulk Fiber Optic Cabling

You can get gigabit speed from a single strand really easily. 10 gigabit from two strands. And that is with today's cheap gear. So the extra strands are for redundancy. That cable is significantly cheaper than the conduit it should go in. I bet it would cost more than the cable just to get someone to come out and terminate the ends with LC connectors.

Here are a few pre-terminated 1000 foot options I found with a quick search:
One more: 300M (984Ft) *USA Stock* Duplex LC UPC Single Mode Armored Outdoor Fiber | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a friend who trenched this pipe in. He just made sure the coupler to join 2 lengths was external and sealed. Rather than a internal barbed coupler. A 1000’ box of some good solid copper gel filled direct burial cat6e is $300

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think ethernet cable is only being recommended for this because everyone has prior experience with it. But seriously, 100 meters (328 feet) is the max range spec for ethernet. We're talking about 800 feet here. It might work anyway if conditions are just right, but what kind of stability problems might you be asking for?

If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on a wired data connection, then fiber optics really are a better choice. The biggest obstacle is learning how it works. One of these 300 meter direct-burial fiber cables for $400 USD and a pair of media converters like this one for $60 USD gives you a regular RJ45 gigabit ethernet port on both ends of the fiber, and then it is just plug-and-play. This uses only one of the two strands of fiber, leaving the other for future use or simply as a spare.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
True, I don’t know much about fiber, the cost nor how to splice it. But for only one camera at the end of the laneway I would probably pull Ethernet with a pull string and use a ePoe camera/ePoe switch. Main thing is you have the conduit in. Your options are there.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've pushed the spec of 100 meters to about 500 feet. Analysis of the traffic showed packed losses and corresponding retries to get the data through. We're talking 800 feet here so I would expect, and confidently predict, that there will be significant packet losses. Not something you want on a surveillance camera.

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I've pushed the spec of 100 meters to about 500 feet. Analysis of the traffic showed packed losses and corresponding retries to get the data through. We're talking 800 feet here so I would expect, and confidently predict, hat there will be significant packet losses. Not something you want on a surveillance camera.
correct me if I’m wrong, I thought epoe was 800 meters over cat5e? Also I would install a accessible weather proof junction halfway at 500’

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as running low voltage with high voltage, if your trench is 3ft deep, you can backfill 1ft of dirt first before you lay your low voltage conduit.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to be clear when I replied about pulling Ethernet cable that was from a data point not POE. A PtP bridge makes sense and the easiest technology to employ with great success. The problem comes into play where there is RFI / EMI present and thus if this is mission critical RF is not a solid technical solution.

If the OP lives in the sticks that's probably not going to be an issue . . .

Fiber just makes sense and its going to work for decades and won't be impacted by RFI / EMI. In 2021 optical fiber is so cheap it just makes sense to use and you just never look back once you're pushing 1G / 10G - forever! :headbang: