Camera for garage. Cheap, wide-angle, POE, good night vision.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I have two (soon three) 5231 mounted around the house on the outside. But I wanted to replace my crappy Xiaoyi cameras indoors, specifically in the garage. Looking for something on the cheaper side, but I'm a bit confused about my AliExpress options.

There is a 2MP turret model around $50 (4233) but I'm not sure if it would be better to add separate additional IR and go for the more common 4MP option (4431)? Looking for extreme wide angle. And POE obviously. Or is there another camera more suitable?

Are both of these cams hacked Chinese versions by definition? Still, it's 100 USD below what the 5231 costs so ...

I do have quite a lot of reflective objects in the garage btw, car is white etc, so that could work to my advantage I guess?

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up two of these for my garage and they do well for $50/ea. Really no reason to ever update the firmware on them so being an international version isn't a big deal for me. Just make sure you block them from calling out on your router. Be advised the mount is plastic but the camera itself is metal.

Dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A replace IPC-HDW4421C-A 4MP Network IP Camera IR POE CCTV Mic Built-in H265 H264 dome DH-IPC-HDW4431C-A
Dahua IPC HDW4431C A replace IPC HDW4421C A 4MP Network IP Camera IR POE CCTV Mic Built in H265 H264 dome DH IPC HDW4431C A-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
(from AliExpress Android)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edit: I have bought 4 of them total (2 for a friend after I got the first two) and both orders came in exactly 10 days. So if you dont mind waiting it's a great deal imo

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got a couple cheaper 3mp cams from Andy a couple weeks ago and am pretty happy with them. $75 each and you can see some screen shots and reviews here.

But... Nigh time isn't as good as the Starlights.

Chicken Coop Camera Suggestions

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I took a chance on a IPC-HDW4233C-A 2.8mm. We'll see. I saw that there were in fact a couple of people on the forum who had tested the camera already. The only think that confuses me a bit is auto focus, which seems non-existant on these cheaper cams? Shouldn't be that much of a problem in a controlled environment like a garage.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Preliminary results for the IPC-HDW4233C-A-V2 would indicate that it is ok. At least in my situation where the lack of auto focus (?) isn't a major factor. One thing that confuses me is that the webplugin.exe file that the camera offers is not the same as for the 5231. I'm running Pale Moon and can't use the 5231 webplugin.exe for the 4233 or vice versa.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did some quick crops from the garage. Both cameras are at default settings and have IR active. It sure does seem like the IR settings on the 4233 does cast quite the shadow. Seems to have no problem on its own though if I disable the IR lights on the 5231. Details are obviously poorer on the 4233. But it is a $50 camera compared to a $150 camera. Also not sure about the focus on the 4233 as it doesn't seem to have auto focus (?). Could be a contributing factor. Still impressed with what you can get for $50 these days. Compared to lets say those Xiaoyi cameras I bought a few years ago.

Please enjoy the untidy garage ...

5231:
5231.jpg

4233:
4233.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did some quick crops from the garage. Both cameras are at default settings and have IR active. It sure does seem like the IR settings on the 4233 does cast quite the shadow. Seems to have no problem on its own though if I disable the IR lights on the 5231. Details are obviously poorer on the 4233. But it is a $50 camera compared to a $150 camera. Also not sure about the focus on the 4233 as it doesn't seem to have auto focus (?). Could be a contributing factor. Still impressed with what you can get for $50 these days. Compared to lets say those Xiaoyi cameras I bought a few years ago.

Please enjoy the untidy garage ...

5231:
View attachment 20320

4233:
View attachment 20321

Fixed lense cams don't have autofocus. The lense is focused at the factory.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I thought. But I've seen some complaints about these cheap cams and that they are very often focused a bit too closely, so I thought that the blurring that is evident from the images might be improved somewhat by opening the casing and manually changing the focus.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I thought. But I've seen some complaints about these cheap cams and that they are very often focused a bit too closely, so I thought that the blurring that is evident from the images might be improved somewhat by opening the casing and manually changing the focus.
Don't know about that cam in particular and it won't be as bad with yours down as low as it is, but the sensitivity in the adjustment of some cams will drive you nuts trying to get it right. Literally like 1/2 of a degree tolerance between being where you want it or out of focus either near or far. Then just when you think that you've got it right, it will slip a hair as you tighten or press against the adjustment or change with light, temp or whatever. Pain in the ass. I'll never buy another cam without auto-focus after fighting with some of my old fixed and manual variable cams. lol