Camera for Night Time Face Clarity

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good day all,

I am researching a new camera which will be mounted outside. My goal for this little project is to purchase a camera that will perform very well at night, capturing faces that are on the move. Attached you will see my proposed placement of the camera, near the centerline of our driveway. The vertical distance from the ground is approximate 4' to 5'. The distance to the first horizontal expansion joint is 15 ft 10 in. To the furthest expansion joint is 34 ft 3 in. I have IR spotlight emitters so I won't be using the iR on the camera. I have not shopped for hardware for a few years and would like a recommendation on what are the best performance and the best buy camera for our installation. I don't mind spending a bit more on a single camera but also don't want to miss out on less costly solutions. Make sense?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post!

Have a wonderful day!

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The placement is ok as long as no one parks in the driveway. It is recommended that you use two cameras on one each side of the driveway with overlap.

Test the camera and camera placement. Have a friend wearing a hoodie, baseball cap, sunglasses open a car door in the drive way, is the video good enough to give to the police of an identification.
Use a bucket of rocks and a 2x4 to mount the camera and test its placement.

Do the same test at night with no moon.

test do not guess.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are two pictures from my Hiks that are on the second-floor eves. Just not enough detail. You can get an idea of how bright my IR spotlights are. :)

Attachments

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2032. I've been out of the market since my setup has been working wonderfully. Now there are newer technologies out since i was building my system. Reading the various threads i noticed the Starlight. I also visited both manufacturer sites. My Hiks have weathered many 100 degree days and are still going strong.

What camera will provide the most detail at night? Can the cams with color night work with my ir spotlights or do they need white light?