Camera for Shed?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright,I really don't want to dig a trench to the shed,so Ive decided since my current Ubiquiti equipment that I currently use to get Wifi to the Shed is 6 years old,it's time for an upgrade.
I already have a AC Lite AP,so I just need to get the other two devices to get things working. I've narrowed it down to two...

NanoStation AC 5GHz airMAX or

NanoBeam ac Gen2 airMAX

I also see a Gigabeam,but not sure if I really need to go that route just to have a couple IP cameras on the Shed.

What do you think?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I have the AP and Station setup in the Shed,I f Wanted to hook up two cameras,could I do like this diagram? Take the Lan from the Station and connect it to a basic switch and hook the Cameras to it?
setup 2 cam.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I have the AP and Station setup in the Shed,I f Wanted to hook up two cameras,could I do like this diagram? Take the Lan from the Station and connect it to a basic switch and hook the Cameras to it?
Yes (AP in house now).

I used the older Nanostation 2.4's and Loco 5's but I would go with the newer "AC" version of either. The smaller NanoStation Loco AC 5GHz airMAX would likely suffice; That POE output from the larger Nanostation is for passive 24VDC POE used by Ubiquiti.

Insure the AP and station both use AirMax, WDS and 40Mhz channel width as below; if you follow this you can't go wrong ==>> airMAX - How to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes (AP in house now).

I used the older Nanostation 2.4's and Loco 5's but I would go with the newer "AC" version of either. The smaller NanoStation Loco AC 5GHz airMAX would likely suffice; That POE output from the larger Nanostation is for passive 24VDC POE used by Ubiquiti.

Insure the AP and station both use AirMax, WDS and 40Mhz channel width as below; if you follow this you can't go wrong ==>> airMAX - How to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)
I would add one thing to these setup directions - Do it inside first! Setup both units inside and confirm you got them working, then install them. Much, much less frustrating than running back and forth trying to figure it out, and wondering if your aim is good enough. I setup a pair a couple of months ago and made several simple mistakes setting them up. Frustration level would have been very high if I was walking back and forth!

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes (AP in house now).

View attachment 98323
So the POE on the Bigger Nano is basically for their Cameras?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what I'm looking at....Loco
That'll do it, and is a good price for a pair WITH the power injectors pictured.

That way you can leave your AC Lite AP in the house dedicated to performing Wi-Fi hot-spot duty where it's likely set to 20 Mhz channel width so conventional 2.4 Ghz devices (TV's, phones, tablets) can use it.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That'll do it, and is a good price for a pair WITH the power injectors pictured.

That way you can leave your AC Lite AP in the house dedicated to performing Wi-Fi hot-spot duty where it's likely set to 20 Mhz channel width so conventional 2.4 Ghz devices (TV's, phones, tablets) can use it.
Going to place an order for it. Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would add one thing to these setup directions - Do it inside first! Setup both units inside and confirm you got them working, then install them. Much, much less frustrating than running back and forth trying to figure it out, and wondering if your aim is good enough. I setup a pair a couple of months ago and made several simple mistakes setting them up. Frustration level would have been very high if I was walking back and forth!
To clarify this, I actually set up the AP and Station, configure them and move the station to the far end of the house, around several rooms and doors.
At the Ubiquiti AP end, plugged the LAN port of the power injector into a LAN port on my house's Asus router.
At the Station end, plugged a unused TP-LINK wireless router that I had turned into an AP (turned off DHCP, assigned static IP in same subnet as my LAN and the 2 Ubiquiti radios) into the LAN port of the Station's power injector.
With my phone, turned off cellular 4G / LTE, turned on Wi-Fi, found the SSID of the TP-LINK AP, logged in, was assigned an IP from my house router's DHCP server over the bridge and surfed the 'net. Tada!

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went out to the shed to mess with trying to get things set up with the current equipment using the diagram. I connected things,but the camera isn't getting power. Is the switch a regular switch or POE?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm happily running an 8 channel DVR thru a loco 2.4ghz.
Albeit with only 2 cams.
My master plan is coming together though, I have received 3 IP cams and an Amcrest 8 Ch poe NVR, to swap out the DVR.
I'm waiting for a day with a heat index factor under 100F degrees. to go wrestle cable in a hot 1 stall garage.
I'm sure the Loco 2.4 Ghz will handle 3 Cams.