Camera for Sunrise / Sunset Weather

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a flat roof on my building in an elevated position that gives me great views south over the city . I see better sunrises that sunsets due to other buildings and trees.
What kind of camera could I put up there maybe to time lapse the view ? would it be fixed or would it have to follow the sun ?

thanks !

Reaction score
@bp2008 I am also now looking into my #16 IP camera: a weather camera to go along with my new Ambient weather station device. This cam will be pole mounted up high (20'-25'). I saw your two youtube vids of the time lapse. Impressive! Do you still use a 5442 as a weather camera? I am wondering if I should apply weatherproofing silicon to all seams for added protection since it will be in the midst of full-blown weather events (rain, snow, wind, etc). Wonder if Dahua makes dedicated weather cam: no AI, no B&W, no IR, etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The 5442 is not acting as a weather cam anymore, though it makes a darned good one assuming you have a system like Blue Iris archiving the snapshots. I don't think you need to worry about weatherproofing the cam. I had it really exposed the entire time it was recording that timelapse.

I don't know of anyone that makes a dedicated weather cam anymore, unless you count the fisheye ones under a glass bubble designed to monitor the entire sky.

It would be neat to find a high res cam with a modern low-light sensor that can do 15+ second exposures with 3D noise reduction to keep the image clean. Just imagine what kind of picture you could get at night...

Reaction score
The 5442 is not acting as a weather cam anymore, though it makes a darned good one assuming you have a system like Blue Iris archiving the snapshots. I don't know of anyone that makes a dedicated weather cam anymore, unless you count the fisheye ones under a glass bubble designed to monitor the entire sky.

It would be neat to find a high res cam with a modern low-light sensor that can do 15+ second exposures with 3D noise reduction to keep the image clean. Just imagine what kind of picture you could get at night...
yea.. I might have to ask Andy if he has opinion of such. There is a new ArcticPro Series 4mp Dahua cam coming out that I'm leaning towards: 4MP 2.8mm Starlight Eyeball Model Number: N42BJ62.
Also took a gander at the panoramic camera's. But those only 2MP.