Camera for temporary external use - Tapo?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in need of a low-cost camera for temporary use on the exterior of a property. It needs to work with Blue Iris. The camera will be re-deployed later to monitor an outbuilding. Looking at the Tapo Outdoor (TP-Link) (around GBP40) but that has big WiFi anntennas. Is there anything more discreet. I could run a PoE camera to the location but guessing there is nothing worthwhile at the price point.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the Tapo cams can stream RTSP to Blue Iris, as mentioned in my post here.

The details for the setup of the C-110 with Blue Iris are here, as the others mentioned in my first link above are likely similar.

Regarding the POE route, if you are in the UK and can purchase economically ($56 USD or 43 GBP + VAT ?) from Nelly's Security here in the U.S. of A., I highly recommend this bullet ==>> 1080p (2MP) Bullet IP POE Security Camera W/ 2.8mm Lens, IP66 Weatherproof, 100' Night Vision, M2B

There's a turret version also but I did not purchase and use with Blue Iris as I did the above bullet but it should work nicely as well. The bullet had an un-advertised, built-in microphone, the turret may as well.

Last edited:

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just be aware that a 4MP with a 1/3" or 1/2.7" sensor will have poor night time performance if that it is important to you. That sensor size is more suitable for a 2MP camera. A 4MP needs at least a 1/1.8" sensor but naturally costs more.

The 5MP eBay cam is also 1/2.7" (found by searching for "Hilook IPC-B159H") and may have the poorest night time performance of the group. :confused:

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

Last edited: