Camera has power but no signal

eggcited

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have a PTZ camera (SD49425XB-HNR) installed and Blue Iris as well as the Dahua Config Tool shows no signal. All my other cameras are working fine.
It seems to work sometimes, like after I unplugged and replugged it in and hanging on my wall just before doing the final install. I was able to pan, zoom, etc.

I know the cable is still plugged in because it goes through the start up sequence by rotating the head and the IR lights are on max brightness.
I tested the cable multiple times from both ends, continuity check and cable length checks are consistent and does not show faults. I wiggled the RJ45 ends during the checks and did not see any errors.

What should I try? The cable is all taped up with self-fusing tape with electrical tape over the whole thing.
I did put a little dielectric grease but ended up wiping a lot of it away with a Q-Tip.

Cable is shielded and ~80ft long. It is plugged into this injector.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggcited

n3wb
Reaction score
The IP is configured correctly. It was working just before I did the final install. It also only sometimes works just sitting there 80ft away. I would plug it in, nothing. Unplug, replug, check with cable tester, more plugging and then it would randomly work very well until I unplug it.
I tried a different camera (IPC-T5442TM-AS) and it also doesn't work on that cable but it does on another cable much shorter at my switch.

That's when I thought the switch wasn't supplying enough power so I bought a 30w injector.

Could it be the pairs inside got messed up so the signal is being interfered with but electrically it works fine using the cable tester?

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The IP is configured correctly. It was working just before I did the final install. It also only sometimes works just sitting there 80ft away. I would plug it in, nothing. Unplug, replug, check with cable tester, more plugging and then it would randomly work very well until I unplug it.
I tried a different camera (IPC-T5442TM-AS) and it also doesn't work on that cable but it does on another cable much shorter at my switch.

That's when I thought the switch wasn't supplying enough power so I bought a 30w injector.

Could it be the pairs inside got messed up so the signal is being interfered with but electrically it works fine using the cable tester?
Is it crappy prefab'd CCA cable or good solid copper core?
Also, are they pass-through RJ45 ends? I know a guy that made a cable once with passthrough ends but he used a regular crimper...the cable tested fine but equipment would not function correctly on it.
Lastly, I did have a brand new out of box 49225 that would boot and pan and tilt, but it never gave a video signal...this problem was consistent and I had to get it RMA'd.
I suppose you could have a chip or cable connector issue inside of the camera but that could be hard to find/isolate and would require some disassembly...make sure this won't void the warranty before attempting.
Other than one of those, you could try to factory reset the camera or reload the firmware...it's a crapshot but has probably a 10% chance it could work....to me your problem sounds most likely to be hardware related.

eggcited

n3wb
Reaction score
They are pass through and I used a pass through crimper. I've made a dozen cables so far and did waste a small handful of RJ45 ends before getting consistent crimps that test fine and work fine.
I am using this solid copper CMX cable.

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are pass through and I used a pass through crimper. I've made a dozen cables so far and did waste a small handful of RJ45 ends before getting consistent crimps that test fine and work fine.
I am using this solid copper CMX cable.
It's peculiar that the other camera does not work either and you had some bad crimps.
Are you using RJ45 ends suited for thicker cable since it's shielded (with the spline).
Make sure your cutting that spline down so you get a solid crimp.
Also make sure your wiring with the 568B pin out. (whiteorange/orange , whitegreeng/blue , whiteblue/green , whitebrown/brown).

eggcited

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup, the spine is removed and everything fits real nice. Before I didn't prep it as nicely and jammed the connector on so it would get crossed or not crimped correctly.
What stumps me is when I bend/wiggle the RJ45 ends the tester shows OK. I know when I have made a bad crimp because when I wiggle it, the tester will report issues either with no continuity, crossed wires or the length test would report 0 or not consistent values.
I am using the B pinout on all my cables with these ends. They are rated for the correct wire insulation diameter and one of the few choices I could find with the strain relief crimp.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i suspect your injector. oh wait. you have a poe switch. is it providing 802.3 AT power to the ptz?
Oh the 5442 doesnt work either? cabling issue. if the cam works on the bench with a short cable, then it's a cable. or the poe power budget for that port is af rather than AT?

Last edited:

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, the spine is removed and everything fits real nice. Before I didn't prep it as nicely and jammed the connector on so it would get crossed or not crimped correctly.
What stumps me is when I bend/wiggle the RJ45 ends the tester shows OK. I know when I have made a bad crimp because when I wiggle it, the tester will report issues either with no continuity, crossed wires or the length test would report 0 or not consistent values.
I am using the B pinout on all my cables.
I had trouble with some Cat6A RJ45 passthrough connectors from Tru Cable. There was a manufacturing problem with tolerances in the connector that was resulting in intermittent shorting. Tru Cable ended up sending me some standard Cat6 passthrough connectors that worked perfectly. You might want to check with Tru Cable to make sure the connectors are compatible with your cable. I'm not saying this is your problem, but the problems you are having are very similar to what I was experiencing.

eggcited

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll wiggle it some more tomorrow and recrimp it to see if anything changes. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I kind of agree with @pepperfr thought.
At this point it may be worth running a verified ethernet cable up the ladder to isolate to a camera problem or cabling problem.
I'm also assuming the cable has good twists for each pair...if the twists are not to spec, it can cause signal loss/noise.
Unfortunately there can be a lot of scenarios to rule out on the cabling side of things.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which ones do you recommend?
For reference, the RJ45 connectors that gave me trouble were these: Cat6A Extra Large Pass Through RJ45 Connectors | Unshielded

I think the problem may have been associated with tolerances in the staggered design. The technical representative at True Cable was aware of the problem and immediately arranged to have a different version shipped to me. (In my opinion, True Cable is a reputable supplier.)

The connectors that worked for me were these: Cat6/6A Pass Through RJ45 Connectors | Unshielded

Since you have shielded cable, you may need a different version.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same crimper as you linked above. I run 24AWG cat5e from TrueCable, with Klein tools passthru terminations. They make a cat6 version as well for 23AWG wire.
Klein Tools VDV826-702 Pass-Thru Modular Data Plug, RJ45 CAT5E,
Klein Tools VDV826-703 Pass-Thru Modular Data Plug, RJ45 CAT6,

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried a known good poe switch?

I have 2 POE switches that will not power a PTZ.
They show they will supply that amount of current, but the voltage drops too much when you draw much current.

I picked up a netgear POE switch, and it works fine.