Camera Help?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My surveillance project got delayed, but I did a lot of reading/research on this site 8 months ago. Back then the consensus seemed to be that the 2 MP Dahua Starlight turret models were the best. Is this still valid or have higher resolution models been released that I should now consider? I don't mind spending more if it improves the likelihood of identifying a face or license plate number. I'm only considering POE cameras.

Also, having never handled a turret model in person, I have a question about leveling the image. I've asked this question before, but can't seem to get an answer that I understand. My exterior home soffits are not level. They follow the angle of the roof. If a turret model is mounted so that it is tilted side to side by 30 degrees, can the spherical portion that houses the camera be rotated about the lens axis to level the video image? Or do I have to install the camera level?

Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the Dahua 2MP Starvis series are still the "go to" low light level camera. I have five of them and they are outstanding.

I have them mounted on angled soffets and they are easy to align to get things vertical/horizontal in the image. Be prepared to have a smart phone or tablet with you when you set up the image though. That can be a trick on a ladder, balancing the device, turning the turret/ball as needed, then locking it down.