Camera in Crawspace

shounb15

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody done it? I'm thinking about putting one down there. Any tips?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Members like to watch their sump pumps (and spiders):

Also, maybe @jmcgee will chime in.​

Many favor the Amcrest IP2M-841, a re-branded Dahua. It is ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p (Full HD), IR, 2-way audio, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, record to micro SD card, wired or wireless, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Comes with wall/ceiling mount, 1/4"-20 tripod mount female insert on bottom. Available in black or white for under $40, can be mounted upside-down and the image inverted as needed.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have one in my crawlspace, back when I had a crawlspace. It was to be able to see if my main water line had a leak. But I also ended up using it to see if the power was still on to the heat tape that ran along the water pipe (I ran an extension cord and a nightlight into the field of view) and to see if the mousetraps had caught any mice.

Spiders loved the heat and the IR. They nested all around the camera.

I had used one of these which I think are probably discontinued now.

1648304103902.png

One of those cheap pan-tilt cameras would be great, but be sure to get one with PoE if that is something you will want.

Consider external illumination placed several feet away (either regular visible light or IR), and turn off the built-in IR if you want to reduce the bug activity on the camera. You won't be able to eliminate it completely though because cameras generate significant heat even if the IR is off.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, so many cams have been discontinued. The POE version of the IP2M-841 ("E" on suffix ?) has been also.
I used a POE to 5DVC splitter on one of 841's like this ==>> Gigabit Micro USB PoE Splitter 5V 2.4A, IEEE 802.3af Standard 10/100/1000Mbps for Raspberry Pi 3B, Google WiFi, Tablets, Dropcam Power Over Ethernet USB Splitter Adapter (USB0502G Black)

That one provides microUSB, some have the 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside power plug for 5VDC or adapter to microUSB. And of course, versions also available in 12VDC.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I used a IP2M-843EB that I got for really cheap a few years ago in my crawlspace pointed at my sump pump pit. It's still going strong, and no spider web buildup around the ring of IR leds like I was expecting.

Go with something cheap if it's for crawlspace use. You don't have to worry about ghosting due to small sensor size or any advanced features for this application.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the idea of an inexpensive ip camera, but will prefer some kind of notifications from a sensor (heat, water, etc.). A camera with relays will be perfect, but it will increase the cost. Since the crawspace is normally dark or have no movement (except for spiders), using the motion detection for notifications purposes will be ideal. For example, you may either detect a +12v flashing lights (strobe) when a sensor detects a water leakage, or maybe using a 12v motor to spin a shaft to emulate movement. You may use as many sensors as needed, depending on what you need to detect. Included find a link for a water leakage sensor, which includes a relay for connect either outputs (strobe, motor, etc)