Camera Install Height on New Construction?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
When I was beginning my camera journey, I bought basically one each of Dome, mini-dome, bullet, turret, with a variety of focal lengths among them, and kind of tried them out in different locations. I decided for most places the turret was my preferred form factor, but for the "either side of garage, criss-crossing each other" I preferred the bullet because it was easier to mount in a way where I could get the angle I wanted. The dome (2.8 mm focal) goes in a protected area above my front door and serves as an awesome package-cam while still giving a view of the path leading to the door (albeit, people close to the door are identified only by bald spots on their heads). This location rarely gets wet and there have been no problems; generally domes are not good for outside. The mini-dome works fabulously in my screened porch, guarding a sliding door to the kitchen and the entry to the screen porch. Turrets pretty much everywhere else.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I am planning on going varifocal on everything so that I have the flexibility and don't have to "get it right" in choosing a lens size.

For cable runs, if I install lower than the eaves, how does that happen exactly? The low-voltage guy I'm hiring is happy to do anything I would like him to do, but he has typically installed cameras up high also so I just want to be able to explain the process fully to him. For a 6' high install, do you drill a hole through the stucco into the wall, and then fish that cable up into attic space? Am I missing anything? Thanks!
Hi IPCam

So, for the garage you're going to need to determine what the supports by the garage door are like, sometimes they are using steel panel inserts to provide structural strength - and that typically complicates the options a little.

Since you are hiring someone experienced they should have a good idea of the options, and you'll probably need to work a bit with them and let them know where you want it - and if there is an obstruction be willing to adjust the location a bit to the left or right of the best spot.

Normally from inside of a garage I like to determine where I want the camera on the outside and then remove a small section of drywall inside the garage behind that spot and find a good location to drill a small hole through the stucco by a stud closest to that location. Then mount a wall mount ( PFB203W/204W ) or a junction box ( PFA130E ) and use long screws into the stud I located so that at least 1/2 of the box is well connected to the stud.

Normally this works very well as garages are often not painted, so determining how to cut a nice section of dry wall is very easy. ( cut it from one stud to the next - and thus easy to replace and plaster the joints )

Also, if you're doing this yourself, it is better to practice in the garage than the nicer rooms of the house ;-)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The courtyard, especially if you have the outdoor shower option, may be a little harder to cover than some spaces.

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help. I am on the fence between trying out a few of the varifocal starlights (DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) or waiting it out for the 4K PoE Starlights which seem to be close to releasing sometime soon. For the HDW5231R-ZE turrets, which mount do you guys recommend for a wall mount and which one would you recommend for a ceiling mount?

Maybe @EMPIRETECANDY can shed some light on the availability of the 4K PoE Starlights also.

Thanks!

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had one more question. By focusing on night-time quality on the Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE varifocal turrets am I really losing out a lot on daytime quality? If I am going to have enough lighting around the house where I won't really need to rely on black and white IR pictures, is there a better camera that will give me better daytime quality than the 5231s? Thank you.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had one more question. By focusing on night-time quality on the Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE varifocal turrets am I really losing out a lot on daytime quality? If I am going to have enough lighting around the house where I won't really need to rely on black and white IR pictures, is there a better camera that will give me better daytime quality than the 5231s? Thank you.
For most instances, no.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of these pictures is 2MP, one is 6MP.

2.jpg

1.jpg

If you're like me, you'll end up watching the majority of your cameras from your phone (when you get a motion alert). Download the full-sized versions of both of these attachments to your phone, and then flip between them and see if you notice a meaningful difference.

I don't. I'm not saying I don't see a difference, I'm just saying that I don't consider the difference useful, especially if the tradeoff for those extra pixels during the day is a camera that performs a lot worse at when the light is low.

Also, don't discount B/W pictures. As good as the 5231s are in low-light, I personally think they can stay in color mode a bit too long as the light fades, and the image (especially motion) isn't as good as if the camera had switched to B/W a bit earlier. So while you may have enough light around your house to keep them in color mode at night, you're really going to need to evaluate the video and see what you think (esp motion... motion can blur a lot during this time).

If you want a higher-resolution camera, there are 5631 (6MP) and 5831 (8MP) models. They have Sony STARVIS image sensors like the 5231, but Dahua does not call them Starlight models because even with that great image sensor, with that many pixels they simply don't perform as well at night. They do, however, perform better at night than 6MP/8MP models that don't have use the Sony STAVIS image sensor, so if you're going to get a higher MP camera, definitely get one that has a STARVIS image sensor. There should be reviews for both the 5631 and 5831 here on the forum.

If I were you, I'd start with just two cameras -- one 5231 varifocal turret and one 5831 varifocal turret. Get them installed and play around with them for a week or so and see what you think. Honestly, this all comes down to how bright the lighting around your house will be. A recent 5831 review was just posted and the guy did a sample of him outside ..at midnight .. underneath a street light that was so bright his shadow looked like it was daytime. Needless to say, this guys impression of the 5831 was that it was just as good as a 5231. In reality, that streetlight he was under was probably giving off 50x more light than what most of us have to work with at our houses, and a 5831 at night there would be an entirely different story!

Last edited:

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great replies @aristobrat and @looney2ns, thanks very much.

I will be using Blue Iris with the Dahuas that I get -- do you guys know how the built-in microphone works with Blue Iris? Are you able to just pull up a camera and hear anything that the camera's microphone is picking up? Is audio recorded along with video in clips that you can playback later? Thank you again.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great replies @aristobrat and @looney2ns, thanks very much.

I will be using Blue Iris with the Dahuas that I get -- do you guys know how the built-in microphone works with Blue Iris? Are you able to just pull up a camera and hear anything that the camera's microphone is picking up? Is audio recorded along with video in clips that you can playback later? Thank you again.
yes, audio is recorded with the video feed. however, you should acquaint yourself with the laws in your state regarding audio recording.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

HI IPCamDude,

In theory if each pixel is effective a 8MP / "4K" camera will have 2x the ID distance of a 2MP / 1080P camera.

For a 90 degree FOV the "4K" camera will have an ID distance of 25 feet,
the 2MP camera w/the same FOV will have an ID distance of 12.5 feet.

This is the theoretical, in real life the ID distance will be less due to noise, blur, bright light / shade, and especially low light conditions.

So, the question is what is the greatest threat time? Day? Night time?

If you can only buy one type, then most of us have chosen the 2MP Dahua OEM starlights as they provide the best low light image captures.

Ideally I would probably get a good mix of 2MP starlight cameras augmented with a couple of 8MP cameras covering the greatest daytime threat vector. ( typically the street view )

Last edited:

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great suggestion mat200, makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@IPCamDude If you really want you could do 1 or 2 higher resolution cameras in an area with more light and overlapping cam coverage. However, looking back at the pictures of the front of your house, it looks like it would be pretty dark at night. I think you'll generally benefit more from 2mp starlight cameras.

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. Well life happened and with moving into the new place and everything else I have not had a chance to start the camera project. I'm hoping to change that now and wanted to get some feedback from the community regarding some camera positioning based upon my floorplan.

Following the advice I've received in this thread I'm adding two cameras in my garage for a total of 15 cameras (13 outside, 2 in garage). I'm planning on using mostly 2MP Starlights (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), and one bullet starlight (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E) for looking down the long driveway. One question I have is how do you guys recommend handling corners? In the backyard and side area I feel that I am somewhat exposed by having a camera only looking in one direction. Is best practices to always have two cameras for a corner?

Would love any other feedback regarding my plan shown in the attached image. Thank you in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 3.21.17 PM.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. Well life happened and with moving into the new place and everything else I have not had a chance to start the camera project. I'm hoping to change that now and wanted to get some feedback from the community regarding some camera positioning based upon my floorplan.

Following the advice I've received in this thread I'm adding two cameras in my garage for a total of 15 cameras (13 outside, 2 in garage). I'm planning on using mostly 2MP Starlights (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), and one bullet starlight (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E) for looking down the long driveway. One question I have is how do you guys recommend handling corners? In the backyard and side area I feel that I am somewhat exposed by having a camera only looking in one direction. Is best practices to always have two cameras for a corner?

Would love any other feedback regarding my plan shown in the attached image. Thank you in advance!

View attachment 36170
Hi @IPCamDude

Nice layout.

Remember to test the locations.

I would add a camera at eye level by the front door - so that when someone is facing the door - the camera gets a good chance of an ID image.

Where is the package drop area?

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @IPCamDude
Where is the package drop area?
Thank you! Packages are usually dropped right at the front door unless the delivery guy is in a hurry in which case they usually just leave it in front of the 1-car garage. I do have a doorbell cam that catches any front door activity but do want to add another camera there at the front door to get a good look of anyone who decides to visit.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! Packages are usually dropped right at the front door unless the delivery guy is in a hurry in which case they usually just leave it in front of the 1-car garage. I do have a doorbell cam that catches any front door activity but do want to add another camera there at the front door to get a good look of anyone who decides to visit.
@IPCamDude

Check out @looney2ns review on the dual lens mini-dome starlight camera - I really like that at the front door at eye level as one lens you can point to those walking up to the door, and the other on the package drop area.

When you are cabling remember the N+1 rule.. on the front door I would pull a few cat5e/6 cables.. one for a POE intercom device, one for a POE camera, one for .. just in case...

Last edited: