Camera IR and Building/wall issue

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one camera in a tight space between houses, there is no way to position it so i dont get a large amount of wall (at least 60% of image)
because of that at night, the IR goes right on the wall and i cant see anything in the middle between houses.
I was going to manually tape a part of the lens to block out the wall but there has to be a better way... i hope!
1688600397677.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A varifocal optically zoomed to the area.

Or lower the camera and move it closer to the entrance.

Or at least get your brick out of the field of view and let the IR be on the other building.

Or go with a full color camera with the whilte LED on.

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your the boss at helping people lol
countless times you come to the rescue

ill try the full color first i guess
easiest one to do

how do i disable night vision on BI
i cant seem to find that

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to disable infrared in the camera GUI. Some cams may allow you to turn them off via BI but that would only be that incident and the next day they would turn back on.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Might also try an illuminator somewhere lower away from the wall and turn off the IR in the cam. That's cheap if you have a good place to plug one in... ~$30

If that's the area that you want to watch seems like moving the cam would be the best idea if you can do it.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^
Corridor mode worked well for me on a camera mounted on the side of my house. Houses are pretty close together on my street and I was having issues with IR reflection until I physically rotated the camera, as mentioned above.

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Might also try an illuminator somewhere lower away from the wall and turn off the IR in the cam. That's cheap if you have a good place to plug one in... ~$30

If that's the area that you want to watch seems like moving the cam would be the best idea if you can do it.
That is what I did. I left the IR on at the camera, but get the effect I wanted.WestSide.20230705_220000.897441.17-0.jpg

RWDM3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is turning into a great helpful thread
i am trying the no IR/ color only tonight, we will see how it goes

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
this is turning into a great helpful thread
i am trying the no IR/ color only tonight, we will see how it goes
Even if this works, I would still recommend trying Corridor mode. It will increase your usable field of view.

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keeping soffits and walls in the field of view, is a waste of pixels, unless you need to capture spider man. ;)
Agreed. In my situation, I repurposed one of my 6 Lorex cameras in the picture above. I am upgrading, my cameras, this will be one. I think the lorex is a 4mm. I don't want the wall, soffit or Ahole neighbors house in the frame. Any specific recommendation on a suitable camera? Just bought a 6mm and varifocal from Andy, may use on of them.

Slowly learning and big thanks to you and others on this forum.

Dave

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. In my situation, I repurposed one of my 6 Lorex cameras in the picture above. I am upgrading, my cameras, this will be one. I think the lorex is a 4mm. I don't want the wall, soffit or Ahole neighbors house in the frame. Any specific recommendation on a suitable camera? Just bought a 6mm and varifocal from Andy, may use on of them.

Slowly learning and big thanks to you and others on this forum.

Dave
Give the 6mm a trial with it set to corridor mode. Otherwise, the Varifocal will do the trick with the proper setup and corridor mode.
Here is my one corridor mode cam. It is a 3.6mm lens.
The back of the house to the right is just barely viewable.

SunroomWalk 2023-07-06 01.21.14.180 PM.jpg