Camera is in Ad-Hoc Mode and acting weird

yagigain

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Reolink E1 Pro that I'm having trouble with. I havn't been able to get to the control panel on either port 80 or port 443. Even if I am connected directly to the camera (no firewall) I get "Connection Refused" on both port 80 and port 443 login screens. I can login to all my other cameras via port 443. That error is normally due to a firewall response. I can however get to the camera via the Reolink application and from there I reset to factory setting and still I cannot connect to the webpage URL.

Also the camera is showing as Ad-Hoc when I sniff the wifi . Is that normal ? My other wireless reolinks (511s) don't run in AdHoc mode.

I have contacted Reolink but no response yet. My main questions is if it should be running in Ad-Hoc mode or not.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also the camera is showing as Ad-Hoc when I sniff the wifi . Is that normal ? My other wireless reolinks (511s) don't run in AdHoc mode.

I have contacted Reolink but no response yet. My main questions is if it should be running in Ad-Hoc mode or not.
I would say only if there's the requirement / option to set up initially with a phone app....my weather station is configured that way as are Shelly Wi-Fi switches, then they can be changed over to work in the normal 'infrastructure' mode to be on your house's Wi-Fi.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
What Is an Ad Hoc Network?
"Connecting two computers does not always require a centrally managed network. Instead, users can set up an ad hoc network between two computers. The two devices communicate through an ethernet cable or wireless cards."
Much to what @TonyR pointed out. With the camera in ad-hoc mode, it is providing its own means of allowing another device to connect to it. Consider reviewing the camera settings via the app to get it out of ad-hoc mode, and connected to your network

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, many newer printers, especially HP's, use this method and call it "Direct Print" or the like.

The Shelly Wi-Fi switches by default are in the wireless "ad hoc" mode (they call it AP or Access Point mode), you connect with your PC or phone's wireless to its broadcast SSID, configure the device, then (usually) lastly save it as connected in "infrastructure" mode (Shelly calls it client mode) to your local Wi-Fi.

yagigain

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tony. Yeah that's right but not sure that the E1 Pro should be running that mode. I would have thought it would be client mode like the other Reolink wireless stuff. It dosn't have any 'direct connect' feature that I am aware of that would require it to run an ad-hoc network.