Camera Mega Pixels

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me is a 3MP security camera better than a 2 MP camera for night vision. Or what to look for, in a good night vision camera. I have read the sensor size is real important but none of the cameras that I have searched show anything about sensor size. I only record with my cameras at night is the reason I am asking. Thanks for any advice.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope LOL.

There is no 3MP camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio. If the camera doesn't provide the sensor size, then it isn't a quality camera.

See this thread for the most recommended cameras based on price, performance day and night, and reliability.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
"Only at night" Tell us the conditions and requirements for your satisfaction.
Like, color at night? Only B/W?

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apparently none of the cameras on Amazon are quality cameras then because none of them show the sensor size, and lots of them say they are 3MP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with the links I provided in Post #2 above if you want good night performance (pulled out from that thread):

Here are my general distance and camera recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These particular cameras are generally accepted by many here as the best balance of performance day and night, price, and features. With all the cameras I have used and tested over the years, these are the ones I also currently use.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera.
  • 4K/X bullet or 4K/X turret - anything within 10-15 feet of camera OR as an overview camera. The turret versions have a mic and the 4K/X bullet has two-way audio. These cameras need light and cannot see infrared.
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night. This camera has two-way audio.
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages. This camera has a mic.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera.
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer). This camera has a mic.
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer).
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
  • Indoors, the IP2M-841 is a cheap common camera choice. Works with Dahua NVR and Blue Iris. Has wifi and ability to use POE with this adapter. Has two-way talk and basic autotracking.

You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently none of the cameras on Amazon are quality cameras then because none of them show the sensor size, and lots of them say they are 3MP.
It's a normal tactic for manufactures making cameras with small sensors to "hide" that information as much as possible. Sometimes it is impossible to find out the size of the image sensor that a particular camera model is using. As wittij said, if a manufacturer doesn't make this information easy to find, then you don't want to be using that model/manufacturer. They are "hiding" it for a reason.

Every manufacturer will talk about their resolution (3mp for example). In fact, the higher the resolution, the more likely they are to extol the virtues of their high resolution image. The problem with that is the laws of physics. More pixels equals smaller pixels all other things being equal. Smaller pixels are not able to absorb as much light as larger pixels. This might not matter during the day, but at night or low/no light situations, it will make a huge difference. If you have two cameras with the same sensor and lens, but one has a 2mp (HD) resolution and one has 8mp resolution (4k), the 2mp camera will outperform the 8mp cameras in low/no light situations by a large margin.