Camera model recommendations?

neek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a cabin which we visit only part-time, so I'd like to setup 2 cameras at the two entrances, and 1-2 more pointing at a lake and small field near the house. All should be able to capture day/night and the two near the entrances will likely be close range and I'd like to identify faces if needed.

I've so far been reading about Dahua's IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP, and I'm guessing this is a good one for the wide angle shots of the lake and field. Any reason I wouldn't also use this for the two entrance cameras? I assume Starlight (or Starlight+) is a must-have since events can happen day or night.

I'm running some Digital Watchdog cameras at our home, with BlueIris software, so on the monitoring side I'm sure I'll run BlueIris on a Windows PC.

I know there's a lot that goes into a decision but any guidance to trim down my choices would be greatly appreciated. And if I'm willing to spend for 4 of the 8MP cameras I mention above is there a reason to still prefer 2MP due to better night performance, etc.?

thanks a lot

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 1831 is a less expensive (non-varifocal) version of the 2831. Something to consider if any of the fixed-lens values give you the wide-angle shot you’re looking for.

If you’re running a shutter speed of 30s (which is common), the 2MP Starlights have better image quality in low light than the 8MP 1831/2831 models. I’d suggest one of those over an 1831/2831 for the entrances unless the entrances are exceptionally well lighted at night. The 5231/2231 Starlight varifocal turrets are popular, as well as the 4231 Starlight wedge mini-dome.