Camera Mounting/installation

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you guys bother with having the poe cables from the camera exposed?

I have a few concerns about camera mounting. If i place them in the ceiling i dont have to worry about having the camera cables exposed as the cables would drop directly into the attic. The only thing that worries me is the camera would be mounted directly to a drywall ceiling thats only about 9 feet high. I suppose i could use a backer on the drywall for a little bit more ridgity but not all situations are going to allow me to do this.

On the other hand i can mount on a wall or similar surface. It can be a lot more ridgid/stable to mount the camera on. The downside is the cable leading into the attic will be exposed and can be tampered with i suppose as well as being bit more of an eyesore. My solution for this would be to mount it to a shielded structure such as electrical box/emt.

In your experience has people tampering with cameras been a problem? I suppose if anyone really wanted they could just wack them and theyll problably break.. Im leaning towards the drywall install method.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm assuming these are being installed inside the house? It is possible to fish wire from attic down into a interior wall. It just take some precise wood drilling from either attic down into wall or interior wall up into attic with a long flex bit ( making sure no electrical wires are above in attic)

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm assuming these are being installed inside the house? It is possible to fish wire from attic down into a interior wall. It just take some precise wood drilling from either attic down into wall or interior wall up into attic with a long flex bit ( making sure no electrical wires are above in attic)
Sorry about that, no they are all being mounted in the exterior of the home.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe show some pics of planned camera locations. Also I recommend taking a few days and read though the installation pics section. Days of info there.

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cameras would cover the area in which im taking the picture from but i put in a model so you can see the general location. Ive already done some testing and on the left doorway i think the best view is mounting the camera either on the ceiling or siding but aiming out. The camera has a big enough FOV thati can capture both doorways in the carport while mainting a good ID on people coming in the doorway with the light. The light doesnt bother the camera in this location. My main goal for this camera is to monitor people coming in at the doorway with the light. This is my main entry way where i/most of my guests come through.

the 2nd entryway on the right is where most of the public comes. Doorbell is located there. Goal for this camera is also to monitor "have a live feed" of who is at the doorway without opening the door. The problem here is the hallway is narrow. If i place it in both areas circled in red they have their own issues. Up top i get a semi good view of the hallway and visitors faces. The light however is in the face of the lens and hinders image quality. Down low under the light or behind it i will get a clearer view of who is at the door but the downside is the camera is placed much lower. They are bullet cams so they will stick out.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras would cover the area in which im taking the picture from but i put in a model so you can see the general location. Ive already done some testing and on the left doorway i think the best view is mounting the camera either on the ceiling or siding but aiming out. The camera has a big enough FOV thati can capture both doorways in the carport while mainting a good ID on people coming in the doorway with the light. The light doesnt bother the camera in this location. My main goal for this camera is to monitor people coming in at the doorway with the light. This is my main entry way where i/most of my guests come through.

the 2nd entryway on the right is where most of the public comes. Doorbell is located there. Goal for this camera is also to monitor "have a live feed" of who is at the doorway without opening the door. The problem here is the hallway is narrow. If i place it in both areas circled in red they have their own issues. Up top i get a semi good view of the hallway and visitors faces. The light however is in the face of the lens and hinders image quality. Down low under the light or behind it i will get a clearer view of who is at the door but the downside is the camera is placed much lower. They are bullet cams so they will stick out.
Study these: Wiki and Cliff Notes.
If you want to ID a face, don't mount a cam any higher than 8ft, lower is better.

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Study these: Wiki and Cliff Notes.
If you want to ID a face, don't mount a cam any higher than 8ft, lower is better.
Eventually I will buy/build up atleast two more cameras in the front to aid with IDing people. These are just to mostly monitor activity at the doorway without having to go peeking outside. I've done test footage at night just mounting them with clamps and I can get a pretty good ID from 6 to 10 feet away. Atleast to the cameras capabilities since they aren't top of the line. I plan on placing a 3rd one aiming out the driveway and a 4th aiming at the front yard from where the narrow hallway one is. It should cover most activity from the front but the CCTV system is far from being full.

Attachments