Camera near floodlight

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL that I am planning to Mount under my soffit but I started to worry that my floodlight will drown out the image. It’s about 2400 lumens and as you can see in the pic it’s in the center of the garage door and the camera will go
To the right in the farthest corner. Would an infrared camera do better with a floodlight like this rather than a colorvu or will both get impacted by the light being so close? I also would try it out first but I don’t want to Mount the camera and mess up the soffit(new hidden vent) until I know that’s the camera and placement I’m going with.
Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Color or infrared can be impacted by light.

Nobody can tell you for sure how the light will be impacted - you will have to test the camera at different locations.

Do a temp rig with a bucket full of rocks and a 4x4 or it looks like that is aluminum soffit, so get a piece of aluminum stock and cut it to size and use that to put the camera up so you don't mess up the soffit.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best way, IMO, to know the impact of the light on the cam would be to temporarily mount the cam without damaging the soffit, like on the end of a tall 2x4 in a bucket filled with rocks or gravel.

Once the cam is aimed in the desired direction, if the light glares too much from the side you might be able to try a small glare shield on the cam's right side (I wouldn't affix any shield to the floodlight).

Once you're pleased with the results, mount the cam and/or shield to the soffit.

Last edited:

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That was actually my first thought since the center really is the best placement for a camera like this but but it’s just too much right there with the floodlight crammed right behind it. Wife still wants the aesthetics to be nice despite my need for security cameras lol.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Color or infrared can be impacted by light.

Nobody can tell you for sure how the light will be impacted - you will have to test the camera at different locations.

Do a temp rig with a bucket full of rocks and a 4x4 or it looks like that is aluminum soffit, so get a piece of aluminum stock and cut it to size and use that to put the camera up so you don't mess up the soffit.
That’s a great idea. I forgot I could mount to a small piece of wood and wedge in there’s to test. It’s actually hidden vent vinyl soffit but still has some wiggle room to do what your saying.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 Lamps lighting the driveway....typical carriage lamps. but i have 4000K LED 9 watt bulbs in them. plus the motion activated flood right next to the camera. and while not the same cam....you can tune the camera to the situation. As always, every location has it's unique challenges and compromises.
1692623419833.png
1692623638858.png

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL that I am planning to Mount under my soffit but I started to worry that my floodlight will drown out the image. It’s about 2400 lumens and as you can see in the pic it’s in the center of the garage door and the camera will go
To the right in the farthest corner. Would an infrared camera do better with a floodlight like this rather than a colorvu or will both get impacted by the light being so close? I also would try it out first but I don’t want to Mount the camera and mess up the soffit(new hidden vent) until I know that’s the camera and placement I’m going with.
Thanks
I have a PTZ camera mounted in a similar situation above my garage door a few feet away from an LED floodlight that stays on from dusk to dawn. Unless you point the camera directly at the floodlight you shouldn't have any issues and the floodlight aim can also be adjusted. The camera model you have seems very limited regarding angle adjustment capability so you can try it and see how it goes but you may have to use a different camera with more adjustment flexibility to avoid glaring from the light.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That was actually my first thought since the center really is the best placement for a camera like this but but it’s just too much right there with the floodlight
Might end up looking like less overall when you consider also having the cam off to the side. Centered keeps everything together in the wider view of the house and you’re likely OK there as far as function. You’ll probably have more potential glare mounted off to the side with the 180 cam but most likely can work with it.