Camera network and VPN server

Laurann

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I introduced myself yesterday and already told you I have been working on improving my camera setup.
What i have right now is this:

The “internal” part is working (Cam, NVR and Asus router)
The thing I can’t get to work is setting up the OpenVPN server part and the opening it up to the internet via the ISP router. Maybe you can help me with that.
I have a Asus AC750 RT-AC51U Router and have put it in the default Wireless Router Mode (not in Access Point mode) so I can use all the functionality. I made some standard changes
• Turned Wifi off
• Created new user and password to login on the router
• Turned off DHCP
I also turned on the OpenVPN server but can’t get the hang of it. I understand the basic role of it but not how to configure it decently. But I think the problem lies in the connection between the two routers.
I read something about DDNS so tried that but I don’t think I can use that when going through another router.

I’m maybe lacking some basic knowledge or something. So please guide me to some information.
When you guys need extra information please let me know.
Kind regards and thanks in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doing back to back routers can create problems.
I recommend that the ISP router be set to modem mode or passthru mode. Some ISPs allow this other do not.

1) Is your ISP providing other services via the ISP router/modem, ie home phone , cable tv, security system ?
2) Who is your ISP provider ?
3) what is the make and model of your ISP router ?
4) do you own or rent the ISP router/modem ?
5) what is the IP address of the ASUS router ?

Laurann

n3wb
Reaction score
  1. Home Phone is also on the ISP router
  2. KPN. It's the largest in the netherlands.
  3. zte h368n
  4. It's not mine. I don't pay for rent but I have to return it when I would go to a different ISP.
  5. The asus router is on 192.168.3.1
The Asus Router is connected to the ISP router via the WAN port.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you able to configure the KPN device as “straight pass through” (to the Asus router)?

Laurann

n3wb
Reaction score
I have visited all of the menu options in the ISP router and googled on this question but i get all negatives for the straight passthrough.

These are all of the options there are for the Administration tab on the ISP Router
2019-01-09 18_43_37-H368N.png

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Laurann

Sometimes that passthrough mode is referred to as bridged mode. Maybe have another look through the menus to see if something like that stands out.

I believe in some cases you may need to contact the ISP for them to put it in bridge mode.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am sorry I can not help you with bridge, passthrough modes. I know nothing about that modem. As suggested contact your ISP support and see if they will help you.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Laurann

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the messages.
I'll check this tonight or tomorrow.

What I see so far is that the documentation you sent @0blar isn't the same GUI I see. So I quess my ISP put different software on the router.
I really hope I can get this to work. Should be a shame when it doesn't.

Otherwise I'm going to contact my ISP. I read on the internet that they aren't very helpfull with opening up options in their routers or giving any support.

Fingers crossed. I'll come back to you guys.