Camera not recording early enough?

Afranze

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
Not sure if this is a BI setting or Dahua setting. I did think it was working better before ( not perfect but better ) I upgrade from BI4 to BI5

Here is an example of what I am seeing here. The attached screenshot is my car driving from the right hand side of the road ( red arrow direction) to the left and backing into my driveway
Now the recording only captured my car when it got all the way to the middle as I reverse in

So it missed my car driving the first half of the road. And this happens for all cars I noticed
What settings should I show you and what can I do>? I did already play around with the motion sensitivity settings but no luck yet

I have my camera set to record on motion

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From BI's built-in "Help", under "Recording Options" => "Video Options":

Video Options
The pre-trigger record time applies only to when triggered or when alerted recording. This is a useful feature for capturing the moments leading up to a trigger event. There are a couple of considerations when using this however, depending on whether or not you are using “direct-to-disc” recording (discussed in the format and compression topic below). Without direct-to-disc, all pre-tigger frames will be encoded at once upon trigger—as this has the potential to require time and CPU resources, you should keep the pre-trigger time to a minimum, ideally just a few frames. If you are using direct-to-disc recording, this is not a concern, as the frames are pre-encoded—however you must be mindful that recording can only begin on a key frame and not any arbitrary time in the stream. Key frames are generally spaced at 1 second intervals, but you should take a look at the Cameras pages in Status to see what your camera is sending.
When an alert is replayed or exported, by default up-to 2 seconds of the pre-trigger record time is included as part of the playback. This allows you to see movement immediately leading up to the trigger while still recording the full pre-trigger time. If you’d prefer that alert playback begin earlier, at the beginning of the pre-trigger time, select the option to Fully include with alert.

BI-record-options.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It also appears that you need to increase the contrast on that camera. More contrast helps with motion detection.
Make the contrast setting 8-10 points higher than the brightness setting.
You can do this by either raising the contrast or lowering the brightness setting.

Or the lens of that camera needs cleaned. Use distilled water and a microfibre cloth.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
And depends on how you have motion detection set up. Do you have the whole screen set to detect motion? Zones? Or what?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Not sure if this is a BI setting or Dahua setting. I did think it was working better before ( not perfect but better ) I upgrade from BI4 to BI5

Here is an example of what I am seeing here. The attached screenshot is my car driving from the right hand side of the road ( red arrow direction) to the left and backing into my driveway
Now the recording only captured my car when it got all the way to the middle as I reverse in

So it missed my car driving the first half of the road. And this happens for all cars I noticed
What settings should I show you and what can I do>? I did already play around with the motion sensitivity settings but no luck yet

I have my camera set to record on motion
The primary cause for what you are seeing is the default edge vector algorithm. Change it to Simple.
Also post you motion detection settings

Afranze

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The primary cause for what you are seeing is the default edge vector algorithm. Change it to Simple.
Also post you motion detection settings
hi
yeh edge vector was turned on

here are my settings

I also instaled codeproject to try it out

not sure if it could be that or just my upgrade to BI5 and theres new settings that need adjusting

1675316801492.png

1675316832156.png

in the above screenshot "motion sensor" is the blue square the area where the motion will trigger recording?

I couldnt work out a way to make the blue square fill the whole camera frame. Thats what Id like it to do. Record any movement with decent object size ( like a car or person) anywhere in the frame

Cheers for the help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to also increase your pregtrigger time in the record tab. Lower the make time to 0.7. See help file you are not reading the blue image correctly, ignore it. The area that will trigger the motion is controlled by zones but you are not using them so it uses the entire image.

Afranze

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to also increase your pregtrigger time in the record tab. Lower the make time to 0.7. See help file you are not reading the blue image correctly, ignore it. The area that will trigger the motion is controlled by zones but you are not using them so it uses the entire image.
No worries thanks

How's everything else look with those settings?

Just changed the make time

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That blue square says anything larger than that and it resets. You use that to eliminate false triggers like headlights that temporarily blind the entire image. If you uncheck the reset after X% that will remove that blue square.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - I always thought it was better to us edge vector, would you mind explaining what situations are best suited to EV and which for simple?
Below is how the help files describes edge vector. A valid trigger may be missed if it does not maintain a consistent vector. When using AI, it is my position that its best to have more triggers - even false triggers - so that the AI can detect objects then determine whether or not to alert. This is particularly important if you are using continuous +triggered (rather than continuous high res recording) so that any minor trigger will record in HD so even if the AI is wrong and you are not alerted you still have top quality recording of the triggered event.

"This new algorithm distinguishes between the leading and trailing edges of motion and you will see this if you
enable a highlighting option either in camera settings or in the viewer for testing. The
leading edge is painted a bright shade of blue, while the trailing edge appears in orange.
The remainder of the movement is a darker blue as was used in the simple algorithm.
The algorithm uses the leading and trailing edges to compute a vector, which consists of a
magnitude and angle for the motion of the object. A trigger will only occur if this vector is
consistent for the duration of the make time"