Camera not recording to SD card

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve got a camera not recording to an SD card. My initial issue was that the camera was not overwriting and would stop recording all together. I formatted the FAT32 SD card and now nothing will record to it. This is in a Z12E. I have the same card in another Z12E and it operates as expected by recording and overwriting. Should I just buy some better SD cards?

Edit: it’s recording some of the cameras triggers but not all. BI is catching and documenting all external events from the camera.

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suggest you first enable 'SD card error' event. This way you can get an alert from it. Although the camera's logs should mention an SD card failure without this set.

1687833183813.png

Every setting needed to use the SD card on your camera:
This is permissions to overwrite a full SD card.
1687833002159.png
Schedule recording and what event type ('general' is constant).
1687833023456.png

Set the 'local storage' (SD card).
Attribute must be 'Read & Write' to save data.
Record type for 'local' should be your scheduled event (image above) and if you want motion/alarm.
1687833340488.png

Irrelevant to you using Blue Iris, but recording to the SD is constantly needed for an NVR's 'ANR' feature.
- Added this image in incase someone has Googled the problem and found IPCT (Welcome along! :) ).
1687833076368.png

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for confirming settings. I’ve got mine setup the same way. I think my sd card may be shot or shit. It’s definitely not recording like it should.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you tried to turn on permanent recording to SDcard? See if that works.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to be sure to use only good quality SD cards. There are a lot of crap & fake cards on the market.
Only purchase from known good vendors.
These are typically problem free in my experience.
Samsung Pro Endurance
Format the card in the camera, not on your computer.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now, pretty sure it’s a bum sd card. However, I can record “general” and the camera records to the card no problem. IVS events registering in BI are not being recorded to the sd card. Have any of y’all experienced this?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
These are typically problem free in my experience.
Samsung Pro Endurance
This is one of them that didn't work in one of my cameras, but a lower cost Adata card works, so "typically" is the right word. It could be as simple as a camera at one end of the spec range not liking a card at the other end of the spec range. I get all of my cards from Newegg proper (meaning not an outside vendor listed on the Newegg web site).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the camera records on the card trouble free whenever general recording is enabled, then I am somewhat sceptical that it is the card. But swapping it to rule out an option for some $10 seems the right step.