Camera on a condominium terrace for 50m surveillance

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a camera on the terrace of the condominium that allows me to monitor my car. Unfortunately I can't use LEDs for night lighting due to privacy issues. The car is parked at a distance of about 50 m. Is it the case to use a system with variable focal length to monitor both the terrace and the car or is it silly? which model do you suggest?
If needed i may post a picture of the surveillance zone neeeded
Thank you

Edit: attached picture
20230510_160910~2.JPG

Last edited:

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For that distance I'd recommend a HFW5241E-Z12E. Vari-focal 5 to 60mm. It has LEDs for night lighting but they're in the infrared spectrum, so you can't see the beam with the naked eye. If the car is well lit you could even turn them off.

I wouldn't try to use one camera to monitor both the terrace and the car, you'd need dedicated cams for that. If you really only want a single cam you could go for a PTZ which is looking at the car when its parked there and the other times at the terrace. I'd recommend a SD49225DB-HNY for that purpose.

A picture would be helpful.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't have much experience with Hikvision, but those seem like really cool options.

One problem is that the varifocal zoomlens only goes to 20mm, which won't be enough to cover the 50m where your car is at.
Another thing is that the panorama cam will be looking the same way so you probably won't see your terrace (can't be sure without a picture).

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, they cost just under €1.000 here. You could get a Dahua HDW5442T-ZE, HFW5241E-Z12E, NVR5208-8P-4KS2 and a WD Purple hard disk for that money.

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could ask Andy if he stocks it (kingsecurity2014@163.com).
Those Alibaba cams could be made for the Chinese market with 'hacked' firmware to English and when you update the cam with regular firmware it'll brick the cam.
Also most times when asking the actual price to ship just one cam to your home it'll be way more expensive, unless you buy like 50.

I got my price from a wholesaler.

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
Those Alibaba cams could be made for the Chinese market with 'hacked' firmware to English and when you update the cam with regular firmware it'll brick the cam.
Also most times when asking the actual price to ship just one cam to your home it'll be way more expensive, unless you buy like 50.

I'm on chat with the chinese vendor of the iDS-2CD8A86G0-XZHSY, the ask 577$/pcs plus shipping, international firmware, I don't know about fees cause they ships from China. They don't have stock and the production time is about 45-60 days

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not a bad price but a long wait time. I'd really ask Andy.

For the fees you can count on VAT (22%) if the Alibaba sender is honest on the invoice on the package and a fee for the shipping company (€10 - €20).

Still I'd pull them apart and just use two cams which you can aim separately for the same money or less. Just my two cents.

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm on chat with the chinese vendor of the iDS-2CD8A86G0-XZHSY, the ask 577$/pcs plus shipping, international firmware, I don't know about fees cause they ships from China. They don't have stock and the production time is about 45-60 days
So the final price from the seller are 668$ shipping included. I'll ask Andy and wait for other suggestions

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
More like $700+ if the cam plus shipping is $577, VAT will also be calculated over the shipping cost.
But a lot of sellers put a lower value on the package so the VAT could be lower.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a camera on the terrace of the condominium that allows me to monitor my car. Unfortunately I can't use LEDs for night lighting due to privacy issues. The car is parked at a distance of about 50 m. Is it the case to use a system with variable focal length to monitor both the terrace and the car or is it silly? which model do you suggest?
If needed i may post a picture of the surveillance zone neeeded
Thank you
Our residential complex (HOA) will not allow installing cameras (privacy matters). I live in a condo as well, but my car is only 25m from my parking spot. Regarding your car, at that distance of 50m, your objective is obtaining evidence in case someone hits your car, or getting as-well “real-time” notifications in case someone tries to get inside your car? The latter can be accomplish by installing a car alarm. But if you need video as well, my approach could be a little different. My plan (still pending) is installing a wifi access point pointing directly to my parked car (setup Ubiquiti loco as a WAP, as an extension of my home network). The antenna will be located behind a window in my apartment. Since WiFi + 12Vdc are available in my car, there are many options to install cameras and sensors inside the car (TonyR could recommend some Shelly wifi products, or similar). I will examine the Ring Car Cam as an option, as it will connect to your wifi network without a paid subscription.

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
I would certainly like to avoid car theft but above all damage or vandalism .
I've attached on the first post a photo of the location

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You could get creative by hiding a camera in a fake potted plant/bird house or something similar so neighbors don't' see it. However, you probably don't have enough white lighting at that distance to run the camera in color so you would probably have to use supplemental IR which would be another piece you would have to install/hide near the camera and have it shoot IR at your car.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would certainly like to avoid car theft but above all damage or vandalism .
I've attached on the first post a photo of the location
The advantage of having a camera inside your car (dual facing front/back), for sure will provide better visual id than using a camera from your balcony. It will be better if the camera allows for recording directly to your NVR. But the Ring wifi mode (no subscription), will only allow recording directly to the camera (remote viewing is allowed). You may also look for dual cam dash cam, with wifi option (rtsp capable will be ideal). If extending the wifi from your location (WAP), you may download the video directly through your phone app (wifi)

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
First thanks to all, never got a such extensive support from a community!
I've thought about the car dash, but I know that the record in parking mode or during nightime is problematic for battery drain issues, it's correct?

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score

I've got a good quote from Andy, 590€ shipped.
Now I've to decide if I'll go for a dash cam or surveillance...

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First thanks to all, never got a such extensive support from a community!
I've thought about the car dash, but I know that the record in parking mode or during nightime is problematic for battery drain issues, it's correct?
305C82BF-C9D5-42A2-ACBF-08ED5F5C9C09.jpeg
Unless you got your car parked for a long time, the average power consumption (idle) is between .25~.50 A/h