Camera on great horned owl nest

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I'm still working on a few things with my camera but I wanted to ask if you would recommend changing any of my video settings. Currently the band width is running around 2mbps and I wouldn't mind bumping it up to 3 mbps. I upped the frame rate from 12 to 20 and it didn't change much. Any suggestions? Also I'd like to adjust the picture so the top of his head isn't so burned out. I can't seem to do anything that helps. This time of the evening it's great. Oh and is there anything I can do to make his eyes not glow in the dark at night ? It makes him look evil :(
I attached a link to a video of my little owl. And I did a screen capture showing the camera settings I have and showing the ipcamlive settings. I hope to figure out how to record to the sd card in the next day or two. Here's my Youtube. He is getting big. https://youtu.be/_Pb7KFsZ590 Thanks in advance for your help. Terri
mbps is bitrate.

You could also experiment with VBR instead of CBR.

Picture settings are under Camera > Conditions and are broken down into profiles (day/night). The profile management tab sets which profile is active / when the profiles switch. The default configuration is day all the time with the day profile set to auto day/night.
The manual may be of some help: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180523/Dahua-Network-Speed-Dome-Web3_0-Operation-Manual-V1_0_0-201805226.pdf

https://dahuawiki.com/index.php?action=ajax&title=-&rs=SecureFileStore::getFile&f=/0/0c/Network_Camera_Web3.0_Operation_Manual_V1.0.1_F_201403.pdf

You can set up recording to the sd card under Storage > Schedule and Storage > Destination

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you again Tangent! Yes the pdf should help. I think I have that but it is a different version. I have read on here about the web UI for the cameras having a glitch. For some reason when I try to open it I can't get to the log in page. I have to unplug my cat5 cable for 10 seconds and wait until it reboots before I can get it to open. I there a way around that? Or is there a different program I can open my live stream in and be able to record from. My little guy will be gone before long and it seems like everytime I see him doing something I want to record the web UI says I have to log in again and then the program closes and can't get to the log in page. I know that once I learn how to record to the sd card I can just have it record all the time but I'm kinda afraid I'm going to crash my PC. Thank you for getting back with me.
Terri
Owl Cam « Okie Bird Cam Blog

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you again Tangent! Yes the pdf should help. I think I have that but it is a different version. I have read on here about the web UI for the cameras having a glitch. For some reason when I try to open it I can't get to the log in page. I have to unplug my cat5 cable for 10 seconds and wait until it reboots before I can get it to open. I there a way around that? Or is there a different program I can open my live stream in and be able to record from. My little guy will be gone before long and it seems like everytime I see him doing something I want to record the web UI says I have to log in again and then the program closes and can't get to the log in page. I know that once I learn how to record to the sd card I can just have it record all the time but I'm kinda afraid I'm going to crash my PC. Thank you for getting back with me.
Terri
I think what you need to do is create multiple user accounts on the camera. I think you may be having problems because it thinks you're already logged in since the service your website uses is logged in. The account you use for your website should probably be a user with fewer privileges.

If your camera's firmware still uses plugins, use the 32 bit version of PaleMoon if not other browsers should work.

Dahua's SmartPSS software is another option for viewing and configuring cameras: Template:SmartPSS - Dahua Wiki
It would be my choice for viewing recordings on the microsd card.

Last edited:

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi terri
the little guy is really doing well. it wont be long until it's gone. the camera looks really good i hope your pleased with it. the night time colour is really good. i took a few pics of the little guy. iv'e not seen the parents for a while which is a shame but i'll keep looking, SnapShot-20190428_095110.jpg SnapShot-20190426_114400.jpg SnapShot-20190428_095438.jpg

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi terri
the little guy is really doing well. it wont be long until it's gone. the camera looks really good i hope your pleased with it. the night time colour is really good. i took a few pics of the little guy. iv'e not seen the parents for a while which is a shame but i'll keep looking, View attachment 41884 View attachment 41886 View attachment 41887
Hey Jon, My little owl fell out of his nest at 10:10 last night. I ran outside and he was on the ground. He looked like he might be injured. I ran and grabbed my camera and had my husband hold a spot light on him so my camera would focus. I thought I might be able to tell more about his injuries looking at my photos. Anyway, I asked my husband to go get a box so I could take him to wildcare and when I turned my head back he was gone. I searched for him for two hours and he vanished. Today I walked my trails and there were no signs of him or the parent. My barred owls hung around for months after they fledged.

Ipcamlive does a 24 hour time lapse video. My girlfriend added it to my page. It shows the last four days. There is an arrow on the left you can see if you hover your pointed on the left. Also on the bottom if you hover there is a button that you can select the speed of the time lapse. I added a photo of one of the parents. If you watch that video you can see the parent emptying out the barrel of all the animals they brought to the owlet.
Yesterday I was able to get help with the SD card. We formatted it and set it to record 24/7 because I know it wouldn't be long before my owlet fledged. I'm not sure what happened after we formatted the card but I think the card is corrupted. It didn't record the owl falling or much of anything else which is disappointing. Is there generally an issue with the sd not recording? Well I hope my little owlet is okay. I kept thinking he might be able to climb up the trunk and back into the barrel. I need to contact my neighbors and tell them to keep an eye out for him.
Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate your time. Terri

Attachments