Camera on mailbox 6x6 post

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Very few here can get by with color for plate reading. The shutter has to be too fast to read plates. Depending on the speed of the cars as they pass your mailbox, 1/500 is probably minimum shutter and most cameras that will be too fast of a shutter for color.

The few that have been able to make color work has a lot of street lighting and the car comes to a stop at a stop sign so they can run a slower shutter because they car stops.

I pinhole camera will not be able to read a plate...but could work for an observation camera.

We are just trying to manage your expectations of what is possible and make sure you get the correct camera for what you are trying to accomplish.

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very few here can get by with color for plate reading. The shutter has to be too fast to read plates. Depending on the speed of the cars as they pass your mailbox, 1/500 is probably minimum shutter and most cameras that will be too fast of a shutter for color.

The few that have been able to make color work has a lot of street lighting and the car comes to a stop at a stop sign so they can run a slower shutter because they car stops.

I pinhole camera will not be able to read a plate...but could work for an observation camera.

We are just trying to manage your expectations of what is possible.
With a pinhole camera I suspect I'd need to essentially build-it-out with a suitable lens, if possible. So maybe I can find a tear-down example of a Dahua/Loryta and have it fit in the space I have.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes.. I might need an LPR-level camera. I just don't have the need to run LPR software.

I'm thinking that vehicles will be about 20 ft away as they pass if the camera is angled towards the road. So the lens choice will be important?

I have existing Dahua with a 10-120mm lens but is is sort of long and I don't see it fitting within the newspaper box area. The width of the area would be about 5".

Though I could replace the entire newspaper box with a new contraption made to hold a camera and IR.
If it is truly about 20 feet, this is an alternative that should fit inside a "newspaper" box and the settings made to be able to read plates:

Keep in mind that most people are completely oblivious...My neighbor has had his on his fence post that is less than 3 feet from the public sidewalk. Cams are only 4 feet high and nobody has touched them...most haven't even noticed them!

Paint the camera the same color as the mailbox, put a camera on either side and it looks decorative like part of the mailbox...

Or add some vines, fake or real, going up the mailbox.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it is truly about 20 feet, this is an alternative that should fit inside a "newspaper" box and the settings made to be able to read plates:

Keep in mind that most people are completely oblivious...My neighbor has had his on his fence post that is less than 3 feet from the public sidewalk. Cams are only 4 feet high and nobody has touched them...most haven't even noticed them!

Paint the camera the same color as the mailbox, put a camera on either side and it looks decorative like part of the mailbox...

Or add some vines, fake or real, going up the mailbox.
Agreed that people can be oblivious.

I could possibly mount something like this to the vertical post and as you suggest, paint the housing white:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
4MP on a 1/3" sensor with that camera will make it almost blind at night.

You can take the "ball" out of a turret. The "ball" is the actual camera and is maybe 3-4 inches in diameter. The trick then becomes mounting it so it so it can't move. The "ball" is also weatherproof so that's not a worry at all.

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can take the "ball" out of a turret. The "ball" is the actual camera and is maybe 3-4 inches in diameter. The trick then becomes mounting it so it so it can't move. The "ball" is also weatherproof so that's not a worry at all.
So in the side of the empty newspaper cavity I could drill a hole to accept the ball. And possibly the IR lights likewise.

I suppose the question I need to then look at is if 2.8mm works at 20ft.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2.8mm will not work at 20 feet for a plate. Unless you are out of the US and in a country with big@$$ plates the size of the car bumper LOL.

Tested it.

Will not happen, at least with any high percentage.

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. That answers that. LOL

So I guess I'm back to possibly deconstructing a varifocal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How tiny are the newspaper boxes LOL. The varifocal I sent you is 4.26" tall, so positioned horizontal I would think would fit in some sort of newspaper box, if not a pre-made plastic one, then certainly make a quick box out of wood and call it done?

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How tiny are the newspaper boxes LOL. The varifocal I sent you is 4.26" tall, so positioned horizontal I would think would fit in some sort of newspaper box, if not a pre-made plastic one, then certainly make a quick box out of wood and call it done?
See the photo in the first post for a similar mailbox setup but my newspaper box is flush with the sides of the post. The post is 6" so the width of the newspaper box it 6". The inside is about 5" wide and 12" deep.

It is made of what looks to be 1/2" wood. I'm thinking I would pull the side piece off and modify it so the camera can see out and also mount the cameras parts to it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So 5" wide will fit a 4.26" camera. It will be tight, but that will aid in securing it to not move. Simply cut a round hole on the side for the lens.

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So 5" wide will fit a 4.26" camera. It will be tight, but that will aid in securing it to not move. Simply cut a round hole on the side for the lens.
It camera would be at a slight angle so that provides it a bit more room. That really is the simplest solution.

So it looks like I could go with the 2MP or 4MP depending on the focal length I need?

5241E-Z12E (2MP 0.002 Lux@F1.5)
5442E-Z4E (4MP 0.002 Lux@F1.6)

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It camera would be at a slight angle so that provides it a bit more room. That really is the simplest solution.

So it looks like I could go with the 2MP or 4MP depending on the focal length I need?

5241E-Z12E (2MP 0.002 Lux@F1.5)
5442E-Z4E (4MP 0.002 Lux@F1.6)
These two cameras are bullet cameras approaching/exceeding 12 inches in length... the Z12E is the choice for most of us that put them on a house, but you need a turret on a mailbox or it will become obvious.

The varifocal turret I posted above (and below) is more than sufficient at a mailbox and can do the job at 20 feet.

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These two cameras are bullet cameras approaching/exceeding 12 inches in length... the Z12E is the choice for most of us that put them on a house, but you need a turret on a mailbox or it will become obvious.

The varifocal turret I posted above (and below) is more than sufficient at a mailbox and can do the job at 20 feet.

Ah.. I see. Thanks.

I do currently have this sitting around, would it work? Nevermind.. not varifocal right?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score

DanPOE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That 4K camera has the same sensor size as the 2MP cam. So in other words, its night time performance will be much worse compared to the 2MP 3241.
OK thanks! It looks like a good plan.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need the varifocal, don't waste money trying a 2.8, 3.6 or 6mm fixed lens.
Agree, as a point of reference;

I have a Dahua 5442 with a 3.6 lens watching my 50' driveway, at 50' plates are barely readable, at 40' they are readable.

ETA 40' is daytime and pretty much stationary as the cars roll in slow.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For accurate LPR, whether AI LPR or visual LPR, you'll want to see as a larger image, without digital zoom help, so setting a zoom that shows only the vehicle is important. Your example is probably a pretty much straight on shot, with no angles to deal with as well.