Camera placement advice

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My property is square sized and completely fenced with a 2 meter high perimeter wall. On the wall is a infrared beam security system installed.

The house is at each side at least 10 meters separated from the perimeter wall.

It may be a bit complicated, and involve more cameras than I want to install, to have both perimeter wall and house windows and doors in covered

In most locations it will also be not possible to mount the cameras at the house towards the perimeter, since large vegetation will block the view.

So I have 2 options which are, placing cameras in a way that they view along the perimeter at each side of the land, or that the view is along the house walls.

Which position would be preferable?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are protecting the house then mount the cameras on the house. If you want to know what's going on in the yard then also mount some on the walls where they can see the yard. Use ipvm.com/calculator for a better idea of what each cam will see.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are protecting the house then mount the cameras on the house. If you want to know what's going on in the yard then also mount some on the walls where they can see the yard. Use ipvm.com/calculator for a better idea of what each cam will see.
Thanks for the reponse.

I definitely am not interested to know what is going on in the yard, and probably I didn't make myself clear enough, due to English not be my native language.

What I tried to explain is that I perfectly can mount the cameras that they beam along the length of either perimeter or house walls.

So they would not point over the wall into the yard, but merely have the inside of the perimeter wall in view over the total length. The same with the house walls, the view would be along the length of the walls, rather than pointing at the walls.

So what is preferable, that you have intruders in view when they climb over the perimeter, or when they are actually trying to force their way into the house?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You want two things from your camera system- video of what the criminals did and a good picture of who they are. So, the best way to get a good face picture is to put a camera at or near face level of where you expect them to be. That's generally your doorways (include garage doors) but sometimes your lower windows. So, put a camera at face height on each doorway looking out. The door cams will also show you what they did farther out in the yard so they can do two jobs. Then add more cameras to cover other blind spots on the house, including lower windows. Personally, if I covered the house well but vision to the yard was blocked by vegetation, I'd also add wide angle yard cameras just to show me what they did in the yard. You could mount these on your wall looking in. Don't forget to add a few cameras inside the house as well.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you show us a rough sketch because it sounds like the yard is outside the wall and the house is inside the wall?

Here is what I think you may be saying:

Basjke.png

I am not sure but you can draw something similar.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you show us a rough sketch because it sounds like the yard is outside the wall and the house is inside the wall?

Here is what I think you may be saying:

View attachment 18862

I am not sure but you can draw something similar.
Consider like this. The land plot and house area are indeed square like you assume, with the black square is my perimeter wall, and behind that wall is open field at all sides.No other houses around.

What is green in your drawing is my yard (lawn), but between house and perimeter wall is big vegetation like large palms on left and right side of the house, which protect my house from the sun but also block the view to the perimeter wall.

Between house and perimeter wall is about 7 meter on left and right, with the large plants in the middle of that space, and 10 meter at back and front.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Consider like this. The land plot and house area are indeed square like you assume, with the black square is my perimeter wall, and behind that wall is open field at all sides.No other houses around.

What is green in your drawing is my yard (lawn), but between house and perimeter wall is big vegetation like large palms on left and right side of the house, which protect my house from the sun but also block the view to the perimeter wall.

Between house and perimeter wall is about 7 meter on left and right, with the large plants in the middle of that space, and 10 meter at back and front.

Sounds like my house in Asia.

I had to use 2 layers of defence, one for the house as far as I could see the another layer of cameras pointing towards the boundary (your wall). Gets expensive having to double up but cameras can't see through what we can't see through. Palms are a PIA to deal with as move with the slightest breeze.

If you installed your own perimeter IR beams, I am sure you will work it out.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like my house in Asia.

I had to use 2 layers of defence, one for the house as far as I could see the another layer of cameras pointing towards the boundary (your wall). Gets expensive having to double up but cameras can't see through what we can't see through. Palms are a PIA to deal with as move with the slightest breeze.

If you installed your own perimeter IR beams, I am sure you will work it out.
Could be because my house is in Asia.

Honestly, the area I live in is extremely safe. I have infrared beams on the wall, and a sophisticated security system, and in 6 years it haven't needed it once.

Haven't heard of any burglaries in the neighbourhood either, so I definitely don't want to overspend on cameras, more actually install them as a deterrent.

In another thread I already made clear that don't even will activate the alarm functions on the camera, but rather let it record 24/7 to the sd card.

So if one had to choose between keeping the house or the perimeter wall in view, which would be the choice?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In that situation, I would look out from the wall with 2 basic PTZ on opposite corners of the wall (or above it).

Even the basic starlight PTZ have 2 alarm inputs and I would use one (or two in parralell) PIR or Microwave sensors, along each wall and use that to trigger presets for the cameras.

2 PTZ = fours sides of a square perimeter covered.