Camera placement advice

Brian Bain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the other thread I am thinking about putting a few cameras up and I wanted to get feedback on the location.

Purpose of the cameras:
  1. Check on packages (clearly this is the #1 priority and the justification for the project)
  2. Catch anyone moving around the house, suspicous or not
  3. Catch anyone moving around the vicinity of the house

As you can see there are some challenges because my house is down a shared driveway and has some high shrubs.

Here is what I am thinking

#1 camera - package camera
this camera would go under the portico facing down to get full coverage of the porch and surrounding area

#2 camera - main driveway camera
this camera would go under the eve of the window above the garage and would cover the main part of the driveway

#3 camera - walkway camera - this camera would cover the space between the driveway in the porch (behind those tall shurbs)
This camera would be mounted on the right side of the eve over the driveway? (not sure about this one)

#4 camera - up driveway camera - would cover down the driveway
This camera would be mounted on the outside left front corner of the portico

#5 camera - street camera - would cover over the hill, street traffic - we are the end of a street so I want to catch all traffic, sometimes we see cars park there to do nefarious things. and I have had rocks thrown at our house before so let's catch those guys!
This would be mounded next to the main driveway camera, eve above garage doors.

#6 camera - side of house (not pictured) covering side garage door

#7 camera - back of house yard

#8 camera - back of house deck and door

Thoughts? What lenses should I get? more or less cameras? different location?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at your pics, I would install one by the front door in a way to see a package and if someone is at the door. Then I would install a second wide angle camera just above the garden hose on the left of the garage. This one would be a wide angle 2.8mm lens to watch over the drive AND see anyone walking up the walkway to the front door since it looks like your shrubs force people into a choke point to the front door. Remember, the Hik 2.8 will net about 90* viewing angle. Putting it lower down than under the window allows for better facial recognition with wide angle. The rest I would base on what it is you are trying to capture and sounds like you have these pretty well covered.