Camera Placement and Camera Type

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Like many others, after a recent incident I find myself here trying to absorb all this information as quickly as possible.
Last few days I have read enough to figure out at least a direction to go (I think)
I am having a alarm installed tomorrow which will be monitored by a company.
Sensors on all doors and windows, motion detection in house and garage.

I am having issues with camera selection and placement though.

I have purchased an Hikvision nvr DS7608Ni-E2/8p (english version from eBay)

As for cameras I was looking at the (Have not purchased yet)

Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-1(W)(S) for the front door (Mini Dome)
Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-1(S) for the front of the garage (Bullet Type)
Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-1(W)(S) for the back of the house and corner of the garage

Does this sound like a decent setup, would you swap different style cameras in certain locations???
Also not positive on the Lens selection, maybe front door 4mm and all others 2.8???

I included a few pics with different camera placements, not sure which to go with.
I could also put on on the corner of the garage looking back toward the garage door.

ALL suggestions would be very much appreciated
Main goal here is to catch a suspect on video after 2 repeated break in attempts these last 2 weeks.
Both attempts were from the front door, Thank you very much

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-1(W)(S) for the front door (Mini Dome) - Get 2.8mm (the nightvision won't be great, you really need another camera covering the front)
Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-1(S) for the front of the garage (Bullet Type) - DS-2CD2232-I5 6mm or 12mm. From your photo 12mm
Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-1(W)(S) for the back of the house and corner of the garage - DS-2CD2332-I - 4mm pointing to garage but 2.8mm pointing towards house and covering closest bit of driveway

Most common mistake is people buying 2.8mm, it's just too-wide and angle. Wider the angle the less the detail. I have a few 1MP cameras with 6mm lens giving a much clearer picture than 4MP cameras with 2.8mm.

Another camera, top left front of house. DS-2CD2332-I 4mm would be a good idea. Then put the DS-2CD2532F-IS at around 5ft to 6ft height to get face shots, anywhere near door bell is ideal. It will act as a great deterrent too.

Hope that helps get rid of these scumbags.

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-1(W)(S) for the front door (Mini Dome) - Get 2.8mm (the nightvision won't be great, you really need another camera covering the front)
Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-1(S) for the front of the garage (Bullet Type) - DS-2CD2232-I5 6mm or 12mm. From your photo 12mm
Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-1(W)(S) for the back of the house and corner of the garage - DS-2CD2332-I - 4mm pointing to garage but 2.8mm pointing towards house and covering closest bit of driveway

Most common mistake is people buying 2.8mm, it's just too-wide and angle. Wider the angle the less the detail. I have a few 1MP cameras with 6mm lens giving a much clearer picture than 4MP cameras with 2.8mm.

Another camera, top left front of house. DS-2CD2332-I 4mm would be a good idea. Then put the DS-2CD2532F-IS at around 5ft to 6ft height to get face shots, anywhere near door bell is ideal. It will act as a great deterrent too.

Hope that helps get rid of these scumbags.
Del Boy, thank you very much.

So just to clarify, is it recommended I have 2 camera's for the front.
Camera 1 being the DS-2CD2532F-1 at 2.8mm ( i would have this on the outside ceiling off center from the front door)
Camera 2 being a DS-2CD2332-I 4mm turrent style which would be placed on the driveway side portion of the house pointing to the front door at 4mm?
my initial though is to have these reversed and have the 4mm up close above the door and the 2.8mm at the front corner.
again I am only a few days in understanding this so I may have this backwards. :sad:
I obviously need to revisit the lens section.

For the rear of the house, Which version looks more protected.
Would 1 camera, centered over the back of the house be sufficient, or would having 1 on each rear corner be better.
Additional cost of a few cameras is no big deal and I would gladly implement, well as long as it is under 8, as that is what my nvr supports.
Obviously I would assume 2 cameras would be better, Backyard is about 50ft wide.
Thank you again for the input, speed rushing through the information I am sure I am skipping over a few important technical items. doh
I off to the camera lens forum :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rear - I was looking at the right option

Front - where you have been having trouble, definitely get 2 cameras. How high is the ceiling? If it's about 15ft or higher then don't use DS-2CD2532F-I and put another DS-2CD2332-I or DS-2CD2132F-IS (if you want something more discreet) there. DS-2CD2532F-I is what I like to think as a door bell camera or very small space camera.

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
Del Boy,

Advise on a secondary front camera, I agree having a second camera up front would be beneficial.
Ceiling height is about 9ft so I guess the 2532F-I will be good to go.
I'm up to 6 cameras now, thankfully I purchased the 8 port unit as initially I thought I would only need 3.
hmmm, might be 7 as I probably will add one in the garage as well
Thanks again

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you have some personal preference with getting 3MP cams I wouldn't buy them. 2MP/4MP cams are newer with better night sensitivity option. Also, easier to identify which are Chinese/English models.

evad714

n3wb
Reaction score
Unless you have some personal preference with getting 3MP cams I wouldn't buy them. 2MP/4MP cams are newer with better night sensitivity option. Also, easier to identify which are Chinese/English models.
I'm still playing catch up and reading all the advice posted throughout the forum, but this caught my attention. a 2mp cam is newer and had better nigh sensitivity than a 3mp cam? Could you explain this a little more to me please.

BBQ Ribs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you sir,
Yes with all the different multi language models it was getting a bit confusing.
Currently with my limited knowledge it would silly to be brand or model loyal at this point.
I was selecting the Hikvision as that is the NVR I purchased.
It seems I did over look that 2MP camera's are newer than 3MP, I just assumed 3MP was newer.
If increasing my budget a little bit will get noticeable increased quality with the 4MP, I will do that.
I just noticed that there are also varifocal lens, how are these on the 4MP, are they worth the increased cost?
varifocal lens might be nice if I start changing placements of the camera's down the road
seems I have a bit more reading to do, thank you

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still playing catch up and reading all the advice posted throughout the forum, but this caught my attention. a 2mp cam is newer and had better nigh sensitivity than a 3mp cam? Could you explain this a little more to me please.
This already been covered here. Simply follow the link and compare specs, or just look at cams marked as new

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_158.html

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's better but it's still not amazing. The WDR on them is better, that's the main thing. But for most outdoor cameras, the 3MP is still the best value and most reliable options. It was only a few months ago that a few vocal members were completely slating the newer cameras. If your budget stretches to 4MP great. If it's tight, then the 2MP non-WDR stuff is just as good as the 3MP stuff.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have image comparison posted in the link below how much better 4MP over older 3MP. Like delboy said it's better but not amazing as those lightfigher/darkfighter series or even Longse S500