Camera placement question

hunternm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best location to install my cameras. I am planning to install 1-2 cameras to cover the front. In the picture I marked the potential locations of my first camera. At first i was thinking of installing the 2 cameras at location B next to each other with one facing front left and another one facing front right ( if I stand on the driveway facing the house). that way I have about 200 degree coverage of my driveway and front yard. There is a door bell at the front door so I am not planning to install another camera there. However I ran into diffeculites to fish the cable through to the attic at location B. I will have to push about 10 inch further back along the soffit in order to fish the cable. but that way the camera covering the front left will have a little bit obstruction from the brick wall. I am thinking now I have 2 options.

Option 1: stick with location B. Run some outdoor cable and get into the attic from somewhere along the soffit. Pros: I like the location. Good view ( The camera will face 45 degree to the left and will be able to catch anyone entering the garage or going to the side the of the house) and the camera is not directly exposed to sun and rain. Cons: some cable will be visible.

Option 2: Use location A instead. It still covers the same area and it is actually one foot lower than location B. It is fairly easy to fish the cable. Cons: Do you think it make the front of the house look a bit odd? I am not exactly sure if it is okay to install a camera there and do not want to make the front of the house look weird. I can move the camera to the center above the garage door then the camera will have to face direct front, losing a bit coverage as it won't be able to monitor the path to the side of the house . Then I can install another camera either at the front door or location B ( about 10 inch further inside along the soffit) to to cover the front right area.

What is your opinion? Place the camera at A or B or somewhere right in the middle?

1716944976494.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best location to install my cameras. I am planning to install 1-2 cameras to cover the front. In the picture I marked the potential locations of my first camera. At first i was thinking of installing the 2 cameras at location B next to each other with one facing front left and another one facing front right ( if I stand on the driveway facing the house). that way I have about 200 degree coverage of my driveway and front yard. There is a door bell at the front door so I am not planning to install another camera there. However I ran into diffeculites to fish the cable through to the attic at location B. I will have to push about 10 inch further back along the soffit in order to fish the cable. but that way the camera covering the front left will have a little bit obstruction from the brick wall. I am thinking now I have 2 options.

Option 1: stick with location B. Run some outdoor cable and get into the attic from somewhere along the soffit. Pros: I like the location. Good view ( The camera will face 45 degree to the left and will be able to catch anyone entering the garage or going to the side the of the house) and the camera is not directly exposed to sun and rain. Cons: some cable will be visible.

Option 2: Use location A instead. It still covers the same area and it is actually one foot lower than location B. It is fairly easy to fish the cable. Cons: Do you think it make the front of the house look a bit odd? I am not exactly sure if it is okay to install a camera there and do not want to make the front of the house look weird. I can move the camera to the center above the garage door then the camera will have to face direct front, losing a bit coverage as it won't be able to monitor the path to the side of the house . Then I can install another camera either at the front door or location B ( about 10 inch further inside along the soffit) to to cover the front right area.

What is your opinion? Place the camera at A or B or somewhere right in the middle?

View attachment 195395
I would test test locations ( give or take a bit ) ...

1716959228740.png