Camera Placement recomendation

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I finally got all 5 Hikvision cameras installed around the house and are working flawlessly, Last night I was finally able to figure out how VPN worked and finally implemented that on my Network and all I gotta say about that is wow it was easier then opening up a million ports.

I need some advice on my last camera and I'm having a hard time figuring out different lenses and the type of camera I should use, So far I got 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I cameras one on the garage and one on the side of the house..

So here is a picture for reference and can someone give me some advice on lenses and Camera? im leaning towards a Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I with a 4mm Lense but i think I should go 6mm?
The Goal for this camera is to watch that green door, The side of the house is roughly around 30 Feet Long and 7 inches wide here is a picture

This is were I plan on putting the camera right underneath the soffit low enough so it wont catch the roof and get alot of IR bleed, It's probably roughly about 7 feet tall

or should I Place the camera more in the middle of the side house like this

another picture for comparison

as you could see I already have Cat5 Cable ran into the attic and ready to go

Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well, you know me, I slap Huisuns everywhere now and not worried about mm anymore. Even in this scenario I would consider using a Huisun. It would give really nice flood light for its IR and give me ability to zoom out all the way to street and even watch neighbor on the side :)

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, you know me, I slap Huisuns everywhere now and not worried about mm anymore. Even in this scenario I would consider using a Huisun. It would give really nice flood light for its IR and give me ability to zoom out all the way to street and even watch neighbor on the side :)
I figured you would say that, lol This is what I'm trying to avoid capturing video footage of my neighbors home, I don't want them to start complaining about their privacy yadda this and that. Although Im thinking of Putting one in the front Yard :peaceful:

You say you want a camera to look at the green gate. Do you want an overview of what is going on, or do you want to be able to identify anyone that is climbing over or coming through the gate?
Mainly a Overview, I already have a Front Camera watching the Front Yard all my cameras crosstalk to one another, This is more of a blind spot. That window is our Master Bedroom, So I would like to Monitor That window,but Mainly that Gate. I already put a 4mm On the other side of the south side of the house.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If you are feeling adventurous then I would give a look at Longse 2.8-12mm auto zoom camera, unfortunately I bricked mine, but for this purpose may have been a good option

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are feeling adventurous then I would give a look at Longse 2.8-12mm auto zoom camera, unfortunately I bricked mine, but for this purpose may have been a good option
Do you have a link were to order from? or a model number.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
4 or 6 mm hik 3mp turret in corridor mode (sideways) would work well from the farther end,
on the wall a foot or two below the rafters...

i'd also put one by the gate pointing back the other way.
what if someone comes over from your neighbors side back from the street?

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4 or 6 mm hik 3mp turret in corridor mode (sideways) would work well from the farther end,

That's kinda what I'm thinking too Pozzello, Im thinking of a 6mm Hik Turret 2342WD-I 4MP

Definitely below the rafters to reduce as much IR reflection, Do you think I should put it half way down the side of the house or all farther away?

Im not worried about the side of the street, My Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I front Camera Captures the whole Cul-de-sac, My backyard falls behind a alley way, Which Im slowly also gonna put some cameras back there.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

+1 for the 4-6mm Turrets. 6mm are a little harder to find though. The matrix IR's are far superior to traditional IR's found in the 2032 bullets in my opinion. klasipca's Longse suggestion is also a good choice from everything I've read and footage I have seen. I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the other side of the house, This is a Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I [3MP] 4mm

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
that is a good view. anyone coming thru or over will be identifiable.
coming from the back to get into that door on the left would be noticed, but not ID'd.

further back, you'd need a 6 mm for a similar FOV, but you'd also get more of the
walkway there, in case someone were to hop the fence from your neighbor's behind
where this cam is viewing...

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
coming from the back to get into that door on the left would be noticed, but not ID'd.

further back, you'd need a 6 mm for a similar FOV, but you'd also get more of the
walkway there, in case someone were to hop the fence from your neighbor's behind
I 2nd that, 6mm, maybe just a bit further back.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I was really happy of the outcome with the left side of the house, it really tide in well with all the other 4 cameras already installed. My goal was to make sure I get the garage doorway and the left side wood Fence.

to add to that, if i were buying new turrets right now, i'd consider these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-IPC-HDW4421C-IR-IP-Camera-4MP-Full-HD-Network-security-cctv-Dome-Camera-Support/32466033419.html
4mp and better low light specs than the 3mp hiks.

but judging from what you've got already, the options you have, and the big dog, i'd say you'll be OK. :)
Im not really worried about the neighbors side of the houses, my left side neighbor has two pit bulls and my right side neighbors have 2 German Sheppard, I in the other hand have a 115 lbs Rottweiler that only barks when someone is really close to my Property Very Obedient dog and well Trained. When one dog starts barking they all start barking and alert the neighborhood, its quite hilarious but helps out whenever I hear my dog barking I usually glance at the cameras to see whats going on.

I will be adding 2 more Cameras on the back to watch the back fence.

I 2nd that, 6mm, maybe just a bit further back.
When installed this camera will sit all the way back as possible, possibly on the very corner of the house. To make sure I have a good field of View on that side of the house.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Where do you buy huisun?