Camera Placement/Recommendations

athornfam2

n3wb
Reaction score
Running Blueiris v5 on a virtual server with 5 4K (8MP) existing cameras. Unwise me bought dome 8MP cameras for outside use. They were and still are okay during the day but the night has gotten worse and almost unbearable.
I've added some pictures of the house to get ideas for placement. 2 are already placed in the back in the center highest point of the back house. The front has 3 cameras mounted on the brick. Don't think they are placed right at all and want to start over.

I'm thinking (6) IP4M-T1044EW-AI cameras with this mount . 2 on the front of the house (one point towards the pine trees & 1 pointed towards the top road/driveway), 1 on each side (widest field of view), and 2 on the back of the house (again cross pointing one another pointed down by the trees and one pointed up towards the shed/back concrete slab).
House is almost center to the property as well on .47 acres of land.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The pictures are not showing, but generally based on your description I can tell you that cameras higher than 8 feet, especially 2.8 and 3.6mm cameras you are looking at, will only let you observe and not IDENTIFY.

Very rarely do all of the same camera, especially 2.8mm fixed lens, do the job you need.

You need to select the proper camera for the location, goals, and objectives of that placement.

That dual lens serves a purpose for a specific need, and unless you don't meet every one of them, you will be getting the wrong camera as the focus tends to be soft.

The dual lens will work well in the following conditions:
  • An overview camera where IDENTIFY is not the primary purpose, but want the ability to obtain color video without a lot of ambient light. I can run this at a much faster shutter than other overview cams and get color with minimal/no blur.
  • A camera with light sources that are way in front of the camera and behind the person. Any situation where a backlight situation happens that would provide a dark/black silhouette. Perhaps an offset of a house where the floodlights would be well ahead of the camera. My last example and Wildcats are great examples of a situation that this camera would do very well in.
  • An area that you want color, have a little bit of ambient light, but do not want the LED camera lights on like what is needed for the 4K/X.
  • Those wanting a turret version for the smaller form factor.
If you don't meet all 4, then it is the wrong camera.

See this thread that highlights the most commonly recommended cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

Further, you will get better pricing and service buying from @EMPIRETECANDY on his Amazon store or his website. That Amcrest is made by Dahua but stripped down. Andy's cameras are Dahua OEM without the logo.

If you do decide on that dual lens camera, here is the review thread on it so you can see if you think it would meet your needs:

He also has a sale coming up:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.