Camera placement review/suggestions

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Per my other discussion, the Lorex 4 camera system with 60 day return arrives tomorrow which will serve during my 3 week trip and get to know. Also ordering a Dahau 2MP Turret and the 4MP Zoom bullet separately for planning final system and cross comparing. Wiring home with CAT6 and don't want to go through the stucco as learned the hard way with hurricane panels as the concrete block walls apparently harden over time and dulled/ate Tapcon bits - had to find mortar lines so that has an impact on placement.

The 4 Lorex cameras are all 83 degree FOV so on the attached photos when noted set my camera lens (35mm full frame camera, 25mm lens = 82 degree FOV) to reflect the coverage. The home has entrances on all 4 sides.
NOTES:
Front - Camera 1. Almost prefer by garage as the front pillar position seems obvious but astenically distracting. The pillar could be a later additional camera or even the far corner or chimney for broad overview but very difficult to wire due to cathedral ceilings in living room abolished attic access. Close-up of front walkway currently served with Ring video doorbell and discovered the strong backlighting put people in shadows as walking up. May look at a mini-turret with zoom to work around the backlighting impacting 2 of the positions, or mount one near the motion light where the backlighting wouldn't apply.

Rear - Camera 2. Forgot to label, both porch lights are motion detection. Also, neighbor across street, his driveway camera covers my back and streetside yard. My suggested camera placement would get facial shots of anyone coming up from street.

Street Side - Camera 3. Either appear doable. That is the community clubhouse, pool, boat ramp, playground and parking lot across street. Neighbor has a camera aimed at the paring lot from side of his house.

Side - Camera 4. (Wow was I shaky on that ladder - and can aim better with fine tuning on final placement!) Position A or position B? Probably ought to put the cable in conduit to armor and never lock main electric where fire dept can't turn off but camera system will be on battery back-up.

Suggestions welcome
Front1.jpg Front2.jpg Front3.jpg Front4.jpg Rear1.jpg Rear2.jpg Side 1.jpg Side 2.jpg Street Side1.jpg Street Side2.jpg

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Due to company, won't we assembling this weekend but received the unit yesterday. Initial setup/testing with one camera and will definitely be going back. Cannot believe how loud it is. Granted was set up on top of desk, but even if hidden in a closet would give off sufficient noise calling attention to it's hidden location. Frankly, have never heard a similar electric computer/audio/video appliance this loud. Internally, the NVR is identical to the Dahau NVR4208 (identical overall including specs) and the NVR5216 that have seen internal photos on this site. That includes the same Delta power supply in all three models whose non-removable fan is the noise culprit. The other free-standing fan that pulls air across the passive heatsink is a non-issue.

While most people will give subjective views of "not too loud" etc, I took it a step further. While I don't have dedicated measurement tools, I added a decibel meter app (free SLA Lite) to my phone. Granted those are not accurate, so the reported number may be off, but cross comparing will show relative differences. Measurements were: Ambient only, 28db; Ambient + PC, 30db; Ambient + NRV, 48db; and Ambient + PC + NRV, 50db. For reference, that PC is a Skylake i7 (non-stock cooler fan) with Nvidia GTX card (2 fans) and 800w PS (1 fan) and 2 case fans.

For final system, will probably go with something like the NVR5216 non-POE model and an external POE, preferably fanless. It was funny looking at a photo of the non-POE NVR5216 on another thread. Same case, so huge blank area where the power supply would be. Fearful that the Dahau PoE NVRs would be equally as loud with the same Delta power supply and the external PoE could be used later if switched to BI, but apply the $300 savings vs stripped i5 computer with the NVR to better cameras. Honestly, about the only was would do BI is if I upgraded my current PC and had the parts laying around. I just happened to have a 24" IPS monitor lying around for the current system as I got a 27" 4K IPS with my last computer upgrade, but wife inherited the older Sandy Bridge i7 machine that I used the 24" monitor with.