Camera Placement to Watch Pool

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like some advice in regards to setting up camera to help monitor a pool.

The below is a picture of the backyard and pool that I want to put camera's by. I would like to put at least 1 camera on the smaller side of the pool and 1 firing back at the house. Their is a ledge by the pool which obstructs the view from where this photo was taken.

This would require wifi and at least a network cable for poe about 15-25 ft away from the house. I don't want wire running on the ground.

If you are of any other methods to monitor a pool let me know.

I use Blue Iris and I have a mix of cameras, but mainly Hikvision.

Thanks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3653396/017ec9f2e6253c42ad839045cd17c84b07064c3e43 - Copy.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would place a 16 to 20 foot pole as shown in the edited pool photo below, then I'd use high-quality solid copper direct burial rated cat5e cable and trench out of the basement (or house), across the lawn and through the landscaping to the pole. Make the pole, black or dark green to make it less obtrusive and IMO you'll have a superb pool field of view and a rock-solid camera connection.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

technicaldisruption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time on the answer and picture. That would definitely solve the problem, but might be than I want to do. At that location the pole would be seen from all prime viewing areas of the house. I might be able to figure out a smaller pole and wider angle.

Are there any cameras powered by solar and wifi?

Thanks

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like to build bullet-proof solutions and I personally don't view either solar or camera WIFI as bullet-proof...unless you've got a boatload of money to throw at the build. But hey, I'm an amateur; there are a lot of guys here with tones of experience who may be able to offer you alternatives more to your liking.

HotRodDiesels

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you give us some more pics from different angles?
Based on this pic I was thinking of a 4-6mm cam on the left?
Setup a test cable and drag it around the yard until you find the distance & height that works for you.