Camera Placements and Type of Cameras Feedback for my project

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking feedback/suggestions from everyone on camera placements and camera types (turrent, bullet, varifocal, ptz) for the areas I want to cover in my project. I have done a bit of research and I have a number of things figured out but the camera types I am a little unsure of and I want to make sure I am not missing anything overall as well.
  • NVR -- I'll be using Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E
  • aerialview2.png shows the property I want the security system for. I need to keep track of who is coming in and out of the yard as well as keep an eye on the materials that I have in my yard.
  • I'll be trenching 2 lines with conduit shown in the aerial view PNG attached.
  • I'll have a POE switch in SHOP that runs directly back to the NVR over Cat6 in the underground conduit
  • I'll be using Direct Burial/Outdoor Shielded Cat6 Cable, Solid, 23 AWG for all runs. (Bulk Solid Cat6 Black CMX Ethernet Cable - 1,000ft Spool)
  • used the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 tool but it only allows 4 cameras at a time on the Free Version so had to split into two PDFs instead of one
  • Camera placement on the PDFs is only for brainstorming and want your suggestions/help/coaching on better camera placement.
SHOP - metal building with no AC or Heat
--2 cameras inside the shop so we can see whats going on inside during the day and keep an eye inside at night
--2 cameras outside the shop so we can see who is working in the yard throughout the day and keeping an eye on it night
--we have already had equipment mysteriously missing from the shop

OFFICE
--NVR will be placed in the office
--4 cameras outside the office (PDF only shows 3 cameras)

GATE
--1 camera mounted on a pole viewing the gate to see who is coming in and going out (~220 feet from NVR)

1. Do I need surge Protection on the underground Cat6 cables?
  2. What battery backup is everyone liking these days on the NVR?
  3. How high from the ground should I mount the gate camera?
  4. How far back from the gate should mount the gate camera?
  5. What camera types would you use for each location?
I'm sure I am missing something and other questions will come up but hopefully this can get the thread going. Thanks Everyone!

Attachments

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @fenster,

as written in the "other" thread, my review:
- your shop "coverage" is good: you have "overlap" which always ensures good visibility in case intruders are using cover/lights to mask their intrance. One might argue to "view the other cam" with each cam (hence you avoid physical destruction/disabling of that cam), but do take into consideration when doing so, you will run into issues with IR: you don't want each cam to be blinded at night by another cam.
- for your shop: there are no back and side entrance possibilities (door/window/roof access)?
- for the office gate: I see you have selected a "generic" cam, which is good to start, but your FOVs are way to large. Depending on the Pole distance, I would go for a HFW5231-Z5 or even Z12. The first has a good zoom, but the latter has an incredible zoom. Select those two starlights and you'll see immediately the "impact" on the FOV and DORI distances.
- as a general advice: the LOWER the cam, the better identification capability of persons, persons driving a car, or license plate recognition. HOWEVER, the risk is that your cam draws (way) too much attention, can be driven over, destroyed with a bat, or worse: your footage might be useless because the cam is blinded with the front lights of the cars coming in. So you have to take into account physical security versus acceptable video footage. Hence many here work with a "temporary" workbench: taking a bucket with sand, a 3 meter pole and hoppa, you can plant it everywhere to "test it out". Then you do some dry runs over day and night, until you are "satisfied". Then you know how high (or low) you would have to work.
- another point to take into consideration: intruders are smart, and might notice your cams as deterrant. However placing your cams in a more covert way might give you better video footage than anticipated:

If you would have some kind of mailbox at the gate, and look towards your house, you can have a nice face-up image of people leaving your property. Many intruders are do lower their hoods when they "think" they are out of cam reach, but you might have a potential good hiding space.
- UPS: I am happy with some APC's - not that expensive and they do what they promise to do (flatten out voltage peaks) and keep all my networking gear up and running. Do not only put your NVR on it, but all networking gear (ISP router/modem/switch/... )

Hope this helps!
CC

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @catcamstar
- for your shop: there are no back and side entrance possibilities (door/window/roof access)?

Don’t have coverage on the back side of shop at this point. More want the cameras for seeing who is working inside the shop and out in the yard from my desk on a live feed and ill be recording motion as well. Probably will add additional cameras in the future

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
  1. Do I need surge Protection on the underground Cat6 cables? ALWAYS RECOMMEND SURGE PROTECTION
  2. What battery backup is everyone liking these days on the NVR? RECOMMEND 1500VA
  3. How high from the ground should I mount the gate camera? IF YOU WANT TO CAPTURE CAR LICENSE PLATE, YOU NEED MOUNT NOT HIGHER THAN THE GATE
  4. How far back from the gate should mount the gate camera? THE EASIEST WAY IS MOUNT THE CAMERA ON THE GATE, THEN YOU DON'T NEED AN EXTRA POLE FOR THE CAMERA
  5. What camera types would you use for each location? RECOMMEND BULLET TYPE OUTSIDE, DOME TYPE INSIDE
PS, i don't think you need use cable, you can use wireless bridge (access point) between camera and NVR
https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Wireless-Anti-Interference-Outdoor-Weatherproof/dp/B07GRBT8RV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=wireless+bridge&qid=1562694762&s=gateway&sr=8-2
I like your suggestions, apart from the wifi solution. Wifi jammers are that cheap and will disturb your whole security infrastructure. Just my 2c.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
  1. Do I need surge Protection on the underground Cat6 cables? ALWAYS RECOMMEND SURGE PROTECTION
  2. What battery backup is everyone liking these days on the NVR? RECOMMEND 1500VA
  3. How high from the ground should I mount the gate camera? IF YOU WANT TO CAPTURE CAR LICENSE PLATE, YOU NEED MOUNT NOT HIGHER THAN THE GATE
  4. How far back from the gate should mount the gate camera? THE EASIEST WAY IS MOUNT THE CAMERA ON THE GATE, THEN YOU DON'T NEED AN EXTRA POLE FOR THE CAMERA
  5. What camera types would you use for each location? RECOMMEND BULLET TYPE OUTSIDE, DOME TYPE INSIDE
PS, i don't think you need use cable, you can use wireless bridge (access point) between camera and NVR
https://www.amazon.com/HDView-Wireless-Anti-Interference-Outdoor-Weatherproof/dp/B07GRBT8RV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=wireless+bridge&qid=1562694762&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it
I’ve done everything you have suggested except trenched and conduit instead of WiFi

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.