Camera Pole Question

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing a couple cameras on the south side of my house. The only good way to get POE to that side is underground.
There is a sun room on top of a finished basement with brick all underneath.

I've already purchased the direct burial CAT6 cable and was looking through the install pictures in various threads in this forum.
I'd like to mount my POE switch to a pole and distribute from that location to others in my yard.
I think the best/cleanest way to do this is on a 4x4 post similar to this: Wireless Camera Pole Install

My question is where do I obtain a hollow post like the ones pictured in the link above? Those look like professional installation with NEMA rated enclosures, etc.
Are those poles for sale at electrical supply houses or elsewhere? I've never seen anything like that at the local Lowes/Home Depot.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some here have successfully used vinyl fence posts', from Home Depot or Lowes.

I used a box similar to this to mount a POE switch in out doors.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bonus feature: All of our Fence Sections, Posts and Gates are Made in the USA with American Materials.
I like this. Thank you.

It will probably be my best option. Still need to figure out the layout and whether I'll spring for an LPR cam.
My house is on the corner of two fairly well traveled roads.
Current exterior cameras are marked in red. I have a pretty good view of everything except area with blue lines.
Also, there is stop sign on that corner and I would probably need at least 2 cameras to catch vehicles going in all directions- for an LPR setup.
Capture.JPG

Been in this house for under a year and the day after we closed, I was tearing out tile in the kitchen. Then moved on to WiFi APs: I learned that WiFi does not travel well through plaster walls.
We now have 6 Unifi access points throughout but some areas are still spotty.

Funny story- when I first started installing cams at the old house my wife thought I was crazy and that we had "too many." One of the first things she asked for at the new place was that we needed cameras, lots of them.
She had gotten used to knowing exactly where the kids were in the yard, who was "creeping" by the house, etc. :)

Being an older house, I've learned that even a simple faucet replacement can turn into an arduous process- When I pulled the copper pipes under the sink they completely sheared off the wall and started pouring water in my basement utility room. I thought I was smart by turning off the bypass valves under the sink... those are what came off the wall. The master bath remodel was another huge project and now we are working on landscaping. The prior owners did no yard maintenance and it's quite a large lot.

Long story short... I've learned to take my time and plan things out accordingly.