Camera Ports

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I add cameras to my system, do I need to have a separate port for each? For example 80 for the first, 81 for the second, 83 for the third, and so on? I've got two cameras working on Port 80, but I seem to have occasional connectivity problems. The problem could also be related to the network connection, but I'm trying to rule out what I can.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess I should amend that question slightly... If I must specify separate Ports, is it just the HTTP Port (80, 81, etc), or must I also increment the RTSP Port (currently 554) as well? Any others?

Can I activate UPnP in my cameras and will it then automatically set non-conflicting port numbers?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, you dont have to specify separate ports at all...the ip addresses are unique... the only time folks change ports is when they port forward the camera (and even then its not really needed)...

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, fenderman!

At this point, I suspect I may have a bad cable on one of the cameras. I'll be getting a couple of PoE Switches tomorrow, and will be better able to test the multiple camera setup. It was weird... it would work just fine for a while, then the signal would be lost (completely, from my entire network) and I'd have to mess with the PoE injector and reboot the Powerline adapter to get it to re-connect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is likely a bad connection or cable...bad connection can do weird things.. for example it can work fine until the camera reboots and then the poor connection cannot supply enough power...What cameras are you using?

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using Dahua IP66 cameras (the HFW4300S), which have been pretty solid so far. The documentation sucks, but the camera setup tool is simple enough, and the web-access to the camera is easy once you get the initial setup done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are good cameras...make sure they are not using the same ip address....