Camera positioning help needed

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Bob Schulz, can you give us a basic drawing of the area that you are placing the cam in?

It may give folks better ideas for you.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello Bob Schulz, can you give us a basic drawing of the area that you are placing the cam in?

It may give folks better ideas for you.
The cam is on the corner of my deck pointing at the door. This is actually a screenshot of this camera’s view. Ipc-Hdw2231 v2.
i can do layout later. Thanks

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Much appreciated Bob Schulz, as we're not necessarily aware of possible options with the screen shot.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here are three photos of my entrances on back of house. Do the circled locations make good sense for positioning of cams. Thank you for any help.

Under the deck above the single door

IMG_8320.jpg

In the corner going up the stairs to deck and garage door

IMG_8322.jpg

The circled cam is currently pointing to the back door. I am thinking I should move it to just above the back slider facing out.

IMG_8319.jpg

Attachments

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've downloaded your pics Bob Schulz, just going to have to mull ideas over a bit.

As it's better to do the working out first, rather than diving Into things and creating more issues unnecessarily.

How many cams do you have or have access to as well and are they bullet or eyeball/dome? Just so we know what we can work with.

But I am thinking that one slightly to the left of the steps upto your decking may be an idea, I'm thinking slightly out of range of tampering would be good. Or you could consider camouflaging cameras as well, so that they can be placed at a lower height which makes it easier to capture good facial images.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have one hdw2231 i was planning on placing at steps. The one mounted on deck is a hdw2231v2
The third cam iis one of those newer dahua 4k turrents 3.6. All cams are turrents if i place the one at corner of landing where I was showing placement. Nobody can tamper with it unless the come up those steps. I am starting to thing if i place one cam at right of slider. And the other to left of door under steps. They can be angle to cross each other’s path and capture doors and each cam for tampering

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't forgotten you Bob Schulz, been a little busy of late and stuffed up downloading your pictures.

I ended up with thumbnails.

Reaction score
You really have not defined what you are trying to do. Asking if these are good placement locations really is an open ended question. You need to define exactly what you are trying to accomplish by putting up cameras in these locations. Are you trying to ID faces? Are you trying for an overview of the area?

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I adusted this cam a little bit and I think I like what I am capturing.

Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS-v2 2019-12-26 02.30.00.0 PM.jpg
Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS-v2 2019-12-26 08.13.42.71 PM.jpg

This is a temparary placement for this cam and may need to adjust it some but I think it might work

Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2019-12-27 08.28.55.792 AM.jpg

Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2019-12-26 08.16.57.301 PM.jpg

IMG_8368.jpg

I went ahead and mounted this cam since it probably is the best placement I can provide for capturing side gate, garage back door, and steps to house back door. Should easily capture faces on this one. One of the new Dahua 4k 3.6

My Camera 5 2019-12-27 09.01.36.669 AM.jpg

My Camera 5 2019-12-26 08.09.00.252 PM.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is the placement of one of my cams on the driveway. Pretty sure I will be placing one on opposite side of garage overhang and cross paths a little more. This should cover cars and front yard viewing. I do have a IR mounted temporary at middle of door.
Driveway 2019-12-26 12.30.00.0 PM.jpg
Driveway 2019-12-25 08.30.00.0 PM.jpg

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is my dilemma. Not sure what to do at this front door.

IMG_8345.jpg

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bob, front doors need to look sharp and yours does. I wish there was an option for installing a decent camera in the light. I'm not impressed with the overpriced fixtures available from Maximus. Door bell cams are getting better so maybe soon? You have the rest nailed. The one exception is the below deck camera. I liked your original location above the single door. You have a large back yard that would at least get some coverage there. The advantage to where you chose is that it provides backup to the camera monitoring the double door in case it were vandalized.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually the front door never gets direct light. I have been considering a wedge cam or a dual wedge cam

Reaction score
I would recommend a wedge on the right side about door knocker level or slightly below mounted to the brick, drill a tiny hole just big enough for the Ethernet cable to come through the mortar (hoping you can get a drop down that wall on the inside?), crimp the Ethernet plug on after making it through. I don’t have a single or dual camera at my door, but want a double to serve as dual-purpose approach/package cam.

One challenge you will have to figure out is it looks from the picture like that evergreen is pretty close and I think you’ll have serious problems with the IR washing out the image with an object that close. If you leave your front light on it might work better.

Hopefully some of the experts that do a lot of installs will come by with some recommendations.

Bob Schulz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would recommend a wedge on the right side about door knocker level or slightly below mounted to the brick, drill a tiny hole just big enough for the Ethernet cable to come through the mortar (hoping you can get a drop down that wall on the inside?), crimp the Ethernet plug on after making it through. I don’t have a single or dual camera at my door, but want a double to serve as dual-purpose approach/package cam.

One challenge you will have to figure out is it looks from the picture like that evergreen is pretty close and I think you’ll have serious problems with the IR washing out the image with an object that close. If you leave your front light on it might work better.

Hopefully some of the experts that do a lot of installs will come by with some recommendations.
The bushes are most likely getting removed in spring. Those are aborvitores and have reached the gutters. Dont think I can fish wire up behind brick. I could just let it go over to siding and conceal it going up that way