Camera positioning in new home

adawg88

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all -- Working on plans for a new home and want to figure out my camera placements. House is relatively wide at 92 feet and is 67 feet deep. Will have a walkout.

I am lucky in that my work will send out a low voltage contractor to wire the cameras when they install a WiFi repeaters and Cat6 for my work network in the home, I just need to tell them where to put them. I also have a wife who understands the utility, but does not want to clutter up her pretty new house. We are on 10+ acres, backing to state land, so not a lot of neighbors, but opportunities for hunters and creeps to come wandering up.

I currently have 6 Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z eyeball cams that I bought a few years ago and never installed. Plan to use those here. If I need more, what are the comparable models these days? Are these cams outdated? Will also use a 2K doorbell cam in addition to everything else.

Thanks!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all -- Working on plans for a new home and want to figure out my camera placements. House is relatively wide at 92 feet and is 67 feet deep. Will have a walkout.

I am lucky in that my work will send out a low voltage contractor to wire the cameras when they install a WiFi repeaters and Cat6 for my work network in the home, I just need to tell them where to put them. I also have a wife who understands the utility, but does not want to clutter up her pretty new house. We are on 10+ acres, backing to state land, so not a lot of neighbors, but opportunities for hunters and creeps to come wandering up.

I currently have 6 Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z eyeball cams that I bought a few years ago and never installed. Plan to use those here. If I need more, what are the comparable models these days? Are these cams outdated? Will also use a 2K doorbell cam in addition to everything else.

Thanks!
Welcome @adawg88

"I currently have 6 Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z eyeball cams that I bought a few years ago and never installed. Plan to use those here. If I need more, what are the comparable models these days? Are these cams outdated? Will also use a 2K doorbell cam in addition to everything else. "

Still a good camera, yes - there are newer and better models out now .. many members like the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor models that are out now.

Since you have a large home and good amount of property, I would look for a few more cameras to give you better coverage.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks!
Hi @adawg88

I see a number of doors, and as the house is not a rectangle, ... : Plan for more than 6 cameras.

I like one camera ( mini-dome wedge is one i like ) at face level by each door .. ( you can also add a video doorbell if you like ), and I like another camera by the doors watching any package drop areas.

I'd plan to over cable for low voltage .. ( and power ) during the construction phase ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks!
Hi @adawg88

Is the new home buildout still in the drawing state?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. Not broken ground just yet.
Good, review the notes and messages here on the thread .. most home builders place cameras too high, and add too few.

Remember to have a location for your IT / Security equipment ( NVR / PC ) that has some ventilation and enough electrical power and room for a small ups

Also wire the home for security sensors .. ( door, windows, .. )