Camera recomendation for distance, no illumination

On_Fire

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to place an IP camera looking out at the coast from our condominium. This camera would have no surveillance value, but would like to be able to check surf conditions from work and potentially stream via OBS for public consumption. I use Blue Iris recording 24/7 to a large disk array, and have some experience with relatively low end IP cameras at home and setup for friends. Where we currently live, doorbell camera (Lorex B451AJD-E) is the only camera I have running, as there is really no need for surveillance. Other than just for fun, I want to be sure to record anything interesting that happens: whales and dolphins making appearances, storms, etc, but I'd really like to record the next tsunami if/when it happens (day or night).

Can you recommend a camera(s) and mounting solution?
  • Shoreline is about 350 feet (110 meters) away. Anything that I care about will occur >90m out to the horizon range. Downward angle to the shore is about 10 degrees.
  • Panoramic view of the shore of about 160 degrees, so possibly a 2-sensor camera, but would prefer one camera so I only have one video stream.
  • Looking to the NNE, so it only is looking into the sun for the first hour of the day.
  • Mounting outside is possible, but due to weather, I would prefer to mount on inside of window. Getting ethernet outside would be challenging due to concrete construction and challenging weather. This would also avoid corrosion issues, which is no joke in this location.
  • I've always used PoE, and I'd prefer to continue to do so. However, if I mount inside, it really doesn't matter.
  • There is no artificial illumination.
  • For OBS streaming (youtube or whatever), would prefer 30fps.
  • Do not need the ability to pan (PTZ).
  • No need for any image recognition / smart features
  • Would be open to DLSR options, but true IP Camera would be cleaner
Photo of mounting options plus what it would be pointed at. If cameras were mounted on 2nd floor they would mostly look over the top of the trees.
2021-09-25_09-36-20_709.jpeg
What I'd be pointing the camera(s) at:
2021-09-25_09-36-35_635.jpeg2021-09-25_09-36-45_003.jpeg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I would like to place an IP camera looking out at the coast from our condominium. This camera would have no surveillance value, but would like to be able to check surf conditions from work and potentially stream via OBS for public consumption. I use Blue Iris recording 24/7 to a large disk array, and have some experience with relatively low end IP cameras at home and setup for friends. Where we currently live, doorbell camera (Lorex B451AJD-E) is the only camera I have running, as there is really no need for surveillance. Other than just for fun, I want to be sure to record anything interesting that happens: whales and dolphins making appearances, storms, etc, but I'd really like to record the next tsunami if/when it happens (day or night).

Can you recommend a camera(s) and mounting solution?
  • Shoreline is about 350 feet (110 meters) away. Anything that I care about will occur >90m out to the horizon range. Downward angle to the shore is about 10 degrees.
  • Panoramic view of the shore of about 160 degrees, so possibly a 2-sensor camera, but would prefer one camera so I only have one video stream.
  • Looking to the NNE, so it only is looking into the sun for the first hour of the day.
  • Mounting outside is possible, but due to weather, I would prefer to mount on inside of window. Getting ethernet outside would be challenging due to concrete construction and challenging weather. This would also avoid corrosion issues, which is no joke in this location.
  • I've always used PoE, and I'd prefer to continue to do so. However, if I mount inside, it really doesn't matter.
  • There is no artificial illumination.
  • For OBS streaming (youtube or whatever), would prefer 30fps.
  • Do not need the ability to pan (PTZ).
  • No need for any image recognition / smart features
  • Would be open to DLSR options, but true IP Camera would be cleaner
Photo of mounting options plus what it would be pointed at. If cameras were mounted on 2nd floor they would mostly look over the top of the trees.
View attachment 102802
What I'd be pointing the camera(s) at:
View attachment 102803View attachment 102804
Beautiful view and the best hardware is a PTZ camera. It doesn’t matter what varifocal camera you’re considering without the ability to pan the camera it will be pointing to a fixed position.

There’s no way to monitor anything of value that is always moving or that randomly appears.

You can just mount the PTZ to a telescopic stand and secure the same with concrete blocks or temporarily with sand bags if required.

Did the exact same for a client who just needed to see and experience what could be seen with a PTZ vs a fixed camera. Had both set up side by side and in ten minutes he knew what the correct solution was.

Once he was sure of the area that needed to be monitored the PTZ was securely mounted below his terrace.

The images he’s been able to capture of the wild life and people on the ocean has been incredible to say the least. His PTZ camera was able to call the coast guard twice for an accident and smuggling!